1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the Number of Lines on a Diffraction Grating

1. Jun 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A diffraction grating gives a second-order maximum at as angle of 31° for violet light (λ = 4.0 × 10^2 nm). If the diffraction grating is 1.0 cm in width, how many lines are on this diffraction grating?

2. Relevant equations
    d = (m)(λ)/sinθm

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = (m)(λ)/sinθm
    d = (2)(4.0 x 10-7 m)/sin(31°)
    d = 1.6 x 10 x 10-6 m

0.01 m / 1.6 1.6 x 10 x 10-6 m = 6250 lines

Many thanks in advance! :smile:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

You need to use the equation ## m \lambda=d \sin{\theta} ## for the location ## \theta ## of an interference maximum. From this equation and the info they gave you, you can compute "d"=the distance between the lines on the grating. (The grating is filled with these lines. Item of interest=your computed "d" is going to be very small=on the order of a wavelength of light.) The width of the grating is w=1.0 cm so you need quite a large number N of these closely spaced lines to make 1.0 cm. Do you know what the letter "m" represents?

4. Jun 19, 2016 #3
    Is this what you mean? I was in the process of editing as you posted.

5. Jun 19, 2016 #4

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Yes. Your d=1.6 E-6 (meters) is what it should read. I believe your answer is correct N=6250 but I would need to doublecheck the arithmetic. (And your m=2 is correct.)

6. Jun 19, 2016 #5
    Yes, whoops, got a little overzealous with the scientific notation there, haha.

Thank you Charles! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted