1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating displacement current and magnetic field.

1. Oct 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement,

A capacitor is there in free space consisting of 2 circular plates of radius ##r## separated by a distance ##z## which is a function of time. ##z(t) = z_0 + z_1 cos (\omega t)##; ##z_0(<<r)## and ##z_1(<z_0)## are constants. The separation ##z(t)## is varied in such a way that the potential difference ##V_0## between the plates remains constant.
    • Calculate the displacement current density & displacement current between the plates through a concentric of radius ##\frac{r}{2}##
    • Calculate ##\vec H## between the plates at a distance of ##\frac{r}{2}## from the axis of the capacitor.

Now, ##\oint_{\frac{r}{2}} \vec H \cdot d\vec l = \int_S \vec J \cdot d\vec a + \int_S \vec J_d \cdot d\vec a## where ##J_d## is displacement current density. I hope to use this equation and equate ##J=0## and find out ##J_d## in the region between the plates. What I don't understand is how to use the condition ##V_0 = constant## to solve this problem. I calculated the capacitance ##C(t) = \frac{A\epsilon}{z_0+z_1 cos(\omega t)}## and that's it. I'm stuck.

EDIT 1: I think the way to go is to use ##\vec E(t) = -\nabla V(t)## where ##V(t) = \frac{Q}{C(t)}## but I'm not sure if ##Q## is also a function of time. Is it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2016 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

How do you propose to find the displacement current?

4. Oct 16, 2016 #3
    I updated the question. See Edit 1. I think I have to find ##\partial_t \vec E## first but I'm not sure if ##Q=Q(t)##.

5. Oct 16, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The V(t) in ##\vec{E} = -\nabla V(t)## and ##V(t) = \frac{Q}{C(t)}## aren't the same quantity. The V in the first expression is also a function of the spatial coordinates, otherwise you'll get 0 when you take the gradient. The V(t) in the second expression is the potential difference across the capacitor; you were told it's equal to a constant ##V_0##. (That should answer your question about whether Q is a constant or not.)

You're on the right track though. You want to relate the electric field inside the capacitor to the potential difference across the plates.

6. Oct 16, 2016 #5
    But the question seems contradictory to me. if ##V_0## is constant then how can a displacement current exist? Does the constant V_0 imply a fixed charge on the capacitor?

7. Oct 16, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The charge on the capacitor is equal to Q = C(t)V0. Do you still think the charge is fixed?

8. Oct 16, 2016 #7
    Obviously no. That was my first thought! But I don't see another way to explain ##V_0## = constant. Moreover I don't even see why that is a necessary condition in this question.

9. Oct 16, 2016 #8
    SO I did this :
    ## - \int _{0}^{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)} \vec E \cdot d\vec l = V_0 \implies E= -\frac{V_0}{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)} ## or ##\partial_t E = \frac{V_0z_1sin(\omega t)}{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)}##. Is this the right way?

10. Oct 16, 2016 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, but the denominator should be squared in your final result.

11. Oct 16, 2016 #10
    Oops. Sorry for that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted