Calculating displacement current and magnetic field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a capacitor with two circular plates in free space, where the separation between the plates varies over time while the potential difference remains constant. The goal is to calculate the displacement current density and displacement current between the plates at a specific distance, and to relate the electric field inside the capacitor to the potential difference across the plates. The conversation also addresses the confusion around whether the charge on the capacitor is constant or not.
weezy
1. The problem statement,

A capacitor is there in free space consisting of 2 circular plates of radius ##r## separated by a distance ##z## which is a function of time. ##z(t) = z_0 + z_1 cos (\omega t)##; ##z_0(<<r)## and ##z_1(<z_0)## are constants. The separation ##z(t)## is varied in such a way that the potential difference ##V_0## between the plates remains constant.
  • Calculate the displacement current density & displacement current between the plates through a concentric of radius ##\frac{r}{2}##
  • Calculate ##\vec H## between the plates at a distance of ##\frac{r}{2}## from the axis of the capacitor.
Now, ##\oint_{\frac{r}{2}} \vec H \cdot d\vec l = \int_S \vec J \cdot d\vec a + \int_S \vec J_d \cdot d\vec a## where ##J_d## is displacement current density. I hope to use this equation and equate ##J=0## and find out ##J_d## in the region between the plates. What I don't understand is how to use the condition ##V_0 = constant## to solve this problem. I calculated the capacitance ##C(t) = \frac{A\epsilon}{z_0+z_1 cos(\omega t)}## and that's it. I'm stuck.

EDIT 1: I think the way to go is to use ##\vec E(t) = -\nabla V(t)## where ##V(t) = \frac{Q}{C(t)}## but I'm not sure if ##Q## is also a function of time. Is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you propose to find the displacement current?

vela said:
How do you propose to find the displacement current?
I updated the question. See Edit 1. I think I have to find ##\partial_t \vec E## first but I'm not sure if ##Q=Q(t)##.

The V(t) in ##\vec{E} = -\nabla V(t)## and ##V(t) = \frac{Q}{C(t)}## aren't the same quantity. The V in the first expression is also a function of the spatial coordinates, otherwise you'll get 0 when you take the gradient. The V(t) in the second expression is the potential difference across the capacitor; you were told it's equal to a constant ##V_0##. (That should answer your question about whether Q is a constant or not.)

You're on the right track though. You want to relate the electric field inside the capacitor to the potential difference across the plates.

vela said:
The V(t) in ##\vec{E} = -\nabla V(t)## and ##V(t) = \frac{Q}{C(t)}## aren't the same quantity. The V in the first expression is also a function of the spatial coordinates, otherwise you'll get 0 when you take the gradient. The V(t) in the second expression is the potential difference across the capacitor; you were told it's equal to a constant $V_0$.

You're on the right track though. You want to relate the electric field inside the capacitor to the potential difference across the plates.
But the question seems contradictory to me. if ##V_0## is constant then how can a displacement current exist? Does the constant V_0 imply a fixed charge on the capacitor?

The charge on the capacitor is equal to Q = C(t)V0. Do you still think the charge is fixed?

vela said:
The charge on the capacitor is equal to Q = C(t)V0. Do you still think the charge is fixed?
Obviously no. That was my first thought! But I don't see another way to explain ##V_0## = constant. Moreover I don't even see why that is a necessary condition in this question.

SO I did this :
## - \int _{0}^{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)} \vec E \cdot d\vec l = V_0 \implies E= -\frac{V_0}{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)} ## or ##\partial_t E = \frac{V_0z_1sin(\omega t)}{z_0+z_1cos(\omega t)}##. Is this the right way?

Yes, but the denominator should be squared in your final result.

vela said:
Yes, but the denominator should be squared in your final result.
Oops. Sorry for that!

What is displacement current?

Displacement current is the electric current that is created by a changing electric field, according to Maxwell's equations. It is a crucial concept in electromagnetism and is used to explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

How is displacement current calculated?

Displacement current can be calculated using the equation: Id = ε0 * (∂E/∂t), where Id is the displacement current, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and ∂E/∂t is the rate of change of the electric field over time.

What is the relationship between displacement current and magnetic field?

Displacement current and magnetic field are closely related. According to Maxwell's equations, a changing electric field creates a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field creates an electric field. Displacement current is the link between these two fields, as it is the source of the magnetic field in situations where there is no actual current flowing.

How does displacement current affect electromagnetic waves?

Displacement current is a crucial component in the generation and propagation of electromagnetic waves. As an alternating current flows through a wire, it creates a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field. These alternating electric and magnetic fields then create an electromagnetic wave that travels through space at the speed of light.

What are some real-world applications of displacement current and magnetic field calculations?

Displacement current and magnetic field calculations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators, electromagnetic devices like speakers and antennas, and in the development of wireless technology and communication systems. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in medical imaging and radiation therapy.