Calculating Distance fluid will travel in small tube with Piston on other side

In summary, a piston with a 10kg weight on one side will cause the water on the other side to travel a distance of 1 meter.
SodaBiscuit
I want to learn how to calculate what distance a fluid will travel up a small tube if a large piston is used on one side, and no piston on the other side.

Example Diagram
(Consider everything is square instead of round, for easier measurements.)

attachment.php?attachmentid=17227&d=1232318461.png

Assume there is a 10kg mass placed on a square piston.

Under the piston is 10L of water, 1.0 density, 10KG. The 10L water is spread out very wide. The piston (barrel) is 50cm wide, 20cm long, 10cm high. Assume the piston is near zero weight and the 10kg (100N) is all that is acting.

Gravity is in effect.

A 1cm by 1cm tube comes out at the very bottom of the water chamber. The tube heads up 1 meter high (100cm, 100mL volume).

If the 10kg mass is let go right there on the piston, how far up would the water go.

Forget atmosphere pressure if it makes it much simpler.

Assume the tube is open to air at the top, not closed (sorry for the crumby drawing).

A picture is attached to make it easier to visualize.

This is a problem I made up myself, just to understand how to calculate this sort of situation. It is not homework (someone moved it to the homework section for some reason). It is just a brain exercise to learn more about pistons when they push fluid in an open system.

I figure that if there is 0-100ml of water on one side maximum at any point in time, then the formula to calculate that side of the system may be p=pgh. Whereas on the piston side the formula is p=f/a.

Since this is an open system, the pressure is dynamic rather than static though.

Gravity is working on both sides of the system.

If it were a column of water on each side, which is not the case in this example, the water in the tube would simply level out per p=pgh. However in this case, shown above, I am unsure what will happen. Help me understand?

Attachments

• fluid-height-question.png
    fluid-height-question.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When your system settles down the pressure on the left will equal the pressure on the right.
The pressure on the left is LeftLiquidHeight*Density
The pressure on the right is RightLiquidHeight*Density + PressureDueTo10kgWeight

Carid said:
When your system settles down the pressure on the left will equal the pressure on the right.
The pressure on the left is LeftLiquidHeight*Density
The pressure on the right is RightLiquidHeight*Density + PressureDueTo10kgWeight

What about including the "g", force of gravity. Did it get canceled out somehow.

Pressure at depth h in a fluid of density d is equal to hd.

Let us check the dimensions...

Pressure = Force/Area
Pressure = Mass*GravitationalAcceleration/Area
Pressure = (Mass*Length)/(Time^2*Length^2)
Pressure = Mass/(Time^2*Length)

Pressure = Height*Density
Pressure = Length*Weight/Volume
Pressure = Length*Mass*GravitationalAcceleration/Volume
Pressure = (Length*Mass*Length)/(Time^2*Length^3)
Pressure = Mass/(Time^2*Length)

Where you need g is in calculating
(a) the density of the liquid (but you gave it already(without units!))
(b) the force due to your 10kg mass

Ahh, the density I actually use in calculations is 1000kg/m^3, I said "1.0" referencing 1 gram per mL, and apologize.

The force I tend to use is Newtons (100N) but in diagram I show 10KG static mass to make sure people know it is a simple constant mass and not some finger or foot pressing down with variable force or such.

1. How does the diameter of the tube affect the distance the fluid will travel?

The diameter of the tube has a direct impact on the distance the fluid will travel. A larger diameter tube will allow for more volume of fluid to pass through, resulting in a longer distance traveled. Similarly, a smaller diameter tube will have less volume and therefore a shorter distance traveled.

2. What is the relationship between the piston size and the distance the fluid will travel?

The size of the piston on the other side of the tube also plays a significant role in the distance the fluid will travel. A larger piston will exert more force onto the fluid, resulting in a longer distance traveled. Conversely, a smaller piston will exert less force and therefore the fluid will travel a shorter distance.

3. How does the pressure inside the tube affect the distance the fluid will travel?

The pressure inside the tube is directly related to the distance the fluid will travel. Higher pressure will result in the fluid traveling a longer distance, while lower pressure will result in a shorter distance traveled.

4. Does the viscosity of the fluid impact the distance it will travel in the tube?

Yes, the viscosity of the fluid does have an impact on the distance it will travel in the tube. Viscosity refers to the resistance of a fluid to flow, and a more viscous fluid will have a harder time traveling through the tube, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the distance the fluid will travel in the tube?

In addition to the diameter of the tube, size of the piston, pressure, and viscosity, other factors such as temperature, height of the tube, and any obstacles or bends in the tube can also impact the distance the fluid will travel. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the distance traveled by a fluid in a small tube with a piston on the other side.