Calculating Velocity of Water Flow in Open Channel

In summary: block of wood that is half submerged and half above water, the block will be submerged to the same depth as the water surface.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

[/B]
We have water flowing in an open channel. A small tube is placed in the channel, and the water raises to a height "l" above the water surface. The distance from the water surface to point 1/2 (points are at same height) is d. At point 1 the fluid velocity is V1 and at point 2 it is zero (stagnation point). Calculate the water velocity V1. (Figure below for help)

nOugtE0.png

Homework Equations

Bernoulli:
(1/2)*V^2 + P/rho + g*z = constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculate the stagnation pressure Ps, by using Bernoulli from 1 to 2. This yields:

(1/2)*V1^2 + P1/rho = 0 + P2/rho

Ps = rho*(1/2)*V1^2 + P1

Then I calculate the pressure through the tube, where we have hydrostatic conditions. P0 is the atmospheric pressure.:

Ps = P0 + rho*g*l + rho*g*d.

My question is:

under which conditions can we assume that P1 = rho*g*d, i.e. under which conditions can we assume that the pressure at point 1 is independent of the fluid flow at that point? Is it only when the fluid flow is ONLY horizontal?

Attachments

• nOugtE0.png
    nOugtE0.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 293
Physics news on Phys.org
Kqwert said:
under which conditions can we assume that P1 = rho*g*d, i.e. under which conditions can we assume that the pressure at point 1 is independent of the fluid flow at that point? Is it only when the fluid flow is ONLY horizontal?
It's an open channel. Think of standing by a river moving at any speed. What would you expect the pressure to be at a depth d?

rude man said:
It's an open channel. Think of standing by a river moving at any speed. What would you expect the pressure to be at a depth d?
If it´s moving I would assume that it would be dependent on the depth d but also the speed the river is moving

Kqwert said:
If it´s moving I would assume that it would be dependent on the depth d but also the speed the river is moving
Since the flow is horizontal, as we said in the other thread, the pressure variation is hydrostatic in the vertical direction (at least in a region undisturbed by the pitot tube).

Kqwert said:
Can you have a sudden change in pressure as you go from just above its surface to just below? So what must presure be just below? And so the pressure at a depth d?

Measurement of fluid velocity with a Pitot tube is based on Bernoulli's equation which represents the conservation of energy per unit volume of fluid flow. p(total), pt, represents the total energy; p(static), ps, represents the potential energy: and q = ρU^2 / 2 = dynamic pressure, represents the kinetic energy. So pt - ps = q, solving for U =√2(pt - ps)/ρ. With your probe you are measuring pt so you need to calculate ps based on the hydrostatic pressure at depth d. And do not forget to account for the atmospheric on top of the open channel and the open top of your probe.

Chestermiller said:
Since the flow is horizontal, as we said in the other thread, the pressure variation is hydrostatic in the vertical direction (at least in a region undisturbed by the pitot tube).
Thank you, but what would happen if we also had a flow component in the z-direction?

rude man said:
Can you have a sudden change in pressure as you go from just above its surface to just below? So what must presure be just below? And so the pressure at a depth d?
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say?

Kqwert said:
Thank you, but what would happen if we also had a flow component in the z-direction?
It depends on (a) if the fluid velocity is accelerating in the z direction and (b) if the fluid were being regarded as inviscid or viscous.

Kqwert said:
I am not exactly sure what you are trying to say?
I am trying to show that the pressure just below the surface is the same as above, i.e. atmospheric, regardless of the flow velocity.
OK, we have a river, not flowing. A block of wood floats on it, half-in, half-out. Now the river starts to flow. Is the block still submerged 50-50?

rude man said:
I am trying to show that the pressure just below the surface is the same as above, i.e. atmospheric, regardless of the flow velocity.
OK, we have a river, not flowing. A block of wood floats on it, half-in, half-out. Now the river starts to flow. Is the block still submerged 50-50?
Irrespective of the flow, if surface tension effects are negligible and the fluid is inviscid, pressure is continuous across a phase boundary. For a viscous fluid, the traction vector(which includes the pressure) is continuous.

If you carry out a force balance on a differential element of surface area within the interface (which has no mass), the forces exerted by the fluids situated on the two sides of the interface must match (since ma = 0).

Last edited:
This is not that complicated. The total pressure in the Pitot tube is q + p(static) and p(static) = ρgh + p(atmospheric). The conversion factor is 406 inches water = 1 atmosphere = 101.3 kPa. U(m/s) = √2q(n/m^2) / ρ(kg/m^3) The sensitivity of the Pitot tube to crossflow is of course dependent on the relative magnitude of the crossflow. I found in an experiment measuring the airspeed of an automobile, that a crosswind of 10 mph gusting to 15 mph had an effect on the measurement of the ground speed at 20, 30. and 40 mph of less than 10%.

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity of water flow in an open channel?

The formula for calculating velocity of water flow in an open channel is v = Q/A where v is the velocity, Q is the discharge, and A is the cross-sectional area of the channel.

2. How do you measure the discharge of water in an open channel?

The discharge of water in an open channel can be measured using a variety of methods such as a current meter, a flume, or a weir. These instruments measure the velocity of the water flow and calculate the discharge using the formula v = Q/A.

3. What factors affect the velocity of water flow in an open channel?

The velocity of water flow in an open channel is affected by several factors including the slope of the channel, the roughness of the channel walls, the shape of the channel, and the amount of water flowing through the channel. Other factors such as changes in the channel's cross-sectional area, obstructions, and changes in the bed material can also affect the velocity.

4. How do you determine the cross-sectional area of an open channel?

The cross-sectional area of an open channel can be determined by measuring the width and depth of the channel at various points along its length and then using the appropriate formula to calculate the area. This can be done using instruments such as a tape measure or a sounding rod.

5. Can the velocity of water flow in an open channel be calculated accurately?

Calculating the velocity of water flow in an open channel can be challenging due to the variability of the factors involved. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the assumptions made about the channel. In general, it is recommended to use multiple methods and cross-check the results to increase the accuracy of the calculation.