Calculating Dyadic Green's Function Expression

In summary: The document you have attached does not contain the necessary information to construct the Green's function.
Karthiksrao
Dear all,
Need your suggestions as to how I can arrive at the expression for the Dyadic Green's function.

The scalar case is simple:
Consider the standard equation of motion in Fourier space: ## \omega^2 \hat{x}(\omega) = \omega_0^2 \hat{x}(\omega) - i \delta \omega \hat{x}(\omega)+ F(\omega) ##, where ##F## is the forcing function, and ##\delta## the damping parameter. Defining the scalar Green's function from the equation: ## \hat{x}(\omega) = G(\omega) F(\omega) ##, and substituting this in the above equation of motion, we get the expression for the scalar green's function as:
$$ G(\omega) = \frac{1}{\omega^2 - \omega_0^2 + i \delta \omega };$$

Now consider going to the vector form for the displacement, and consequently the dyadic form for the Green's function - as seen for coupled harmonic oscillator problems. The equations of motion can be reduced to the form:
$$ \hat{\bf{x}}(\omega) = \bar{\bar{\bf{A}}} \hat{\bf{x}}(\omega) + \bf{F}(\omega) $$
where ##\bar{\bar{\bf{A}}}## is a matrix.

Now defining the Green's function as before: ## \hat{\bf{x}}(\omega) = \bar{\bar{\bf{G}}}(\omega) \bf{F}(\omega) ##, is it possible to arrive at an expression for the Green's function? The problem is complicated (as compared to the scalar problem) due to the inherent summations that exist in the matrix multiplication.

Can anybody suggest how I can proceed ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You really should include ##Ax## from the RHS in the LHS instead. You would obtain
$$
(1-A)x = F.
$$
The Green's function would be ##(1-A)^{-1}##, i.e., just the inverse of ##1-A##.

Likes jim mcnamara
Thanks for getting back. A follow up query: if I know the eigenvalues and the eigenvectors of the matrix A, would I be in a position to construct the Green's function from just this information ?

I have attached a document where this has been done, and I haven't been able to follow the procedure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• snapshot.pdf
    99.8 KB · Views: 271

1. What is the purpose of calculating the Dyadic Green's Function expression?

The Dyadic Green's Function expression is used to describe the electromagnetic fields in a given medium. It allows us to determine the electric and magnetic fields at any point in space, given the location and characteristics of the source.

2. How do you calculate the Dyadic Green's Function expression?

The Dyadic Green's Function expression is typically calculated using mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, boundary value problems, and Green's function theory. These methods involve solving differential equations and applying boundary conditions to find the appropriate Green's function.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of the Dyadic Green's Function expression?

The accuracy of the Dyadic Green's Function expression depends on various factors such as the complexity of the medium, the accuracy of the input parameters, and the numerical methods used for the calculation. Additionally, the presence of boundaries or interfaces can also affect the accuracy of the expression.

4. Can the Dyadic Green's Function expression be used for all types of materials?

The Dyadic Green's Function expression can be used for a wide range of materials, including isotropic and anisotropic materials, as well as homogeneous and heterogeneous materials. However, the calculation method and the complexity of the expression may vary depending on the type of material being studied.

5. How is the Dyadic Green's Function expression used in practical applications?

The Dyadic Green's Function expression has numerous practical applications in fields such as electromagnetics, acoustics, and optics. It is used in the design and analysis of various devices and systems, including antennas, waveguides, and optical fibers. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in complex media and in solving engineering problems.