Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the retarded Green's Function for the D'Alembertian operator, using the Fourier Transform and the Heaviside function. The conversation also touches on the use of the inverse Fourier Transform to calculate the Green's Function and the confusion surrounding the arguments within the delta function. The conversation ends with a request for further understanding and clarification on the steps and methods involved.
leonardthecow

Homework Statement

Hi all, I'm currently reviewing for a final and would like some help understanding a certain part of this particular problem: Determine the retarded Green's Function for the D'Alembertian operator ##D = \partial_s^2 - \Delta##, where ##\Delta \equiv \nabla \cdot \nabla## , and which satisfies $$ (\partial_s^2 - \Delta)G(\vec{x},s) = \delta^3(\vec{x}) \delta(s). $$

Homework Equations

Define the Fourier Transform as $$ \mathfrak{F}[f(\vec{x})](\vec{k}) = \hat f (\vec{k}) = \frac{1}{(\sqrt{2\pi})^3} \int d\vec{x} e^{i\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} f(\vec{x}). $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve the spatial part of this problem. That is, taking the Fourier transform of the spatial part of the RHS of the differential equation given, $$ \mathfrak{F}[\delta^3(\vec{x})] = \frac{1}{(\sqrt{2\pi})^3} \int d\vec{x} e^{i\vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}} \delta^3(\vec{x}) = \frac{1}{(\sqrt{2\pi})^3}. $$ And, for the LHS, while a bit longer, doing out the integrals yields that $$ \mathfrak{F}[\Delta G](\vec{k}) = -k^2 \hat G(\vec{k}), k^2 = k_1^2 + k_2^2 + k_3^2. $$ Now, using these results to rewrite the D'Alembertian acting on the Green's Function, we have that $$ (\partial_s^2 + k^2)\hat G = \frac{\delta(s)}{(\sqrt{2\pi})^3}. $$ Now, the homework assignment gives as a hint to next verify that $$ \hat G (\vec{k}, s) = H(s)\frac{sin(|\vec{k}|s)}{|\vec{k}|} $$ is a solution to the equation, where ##H(s)## is the Heaviside function and is given by $$ H(s) = \begin{cases} 0 & \text{if } s< 0 \\ 1 & \text{if } s \geq 0 \end{cases}. $$ My first question is why you would think to use this particular solution involving the Heaviside function, and where this comes from. Is it just because you want an (oscillating? why?) solution that turns on for ##s > 0## so that you preserve causality?

Next, I'm told to show the following result formally: $$\mathfrak{F}[\delta(|\vec{x}| - R)] = 4\pi R\frac{sin(|\vec{k}|R)}{|\vec{k}|}. $$ This I can also do and feel comfortable showing (and will save a lot of time not writing here in latex). I am then told to use this result to calculate Inverse Fourier Transform of ##\hat G##. But I'm not sure how to do this correctly, since I'm told I'm supposed to arrive at $$ G_R(\vec{x}, s) = \frac{H(s)}{4\pi s}\delta(s - |\vec{x}|), s=ct,$$ and I have written for my solution just that $$ \hat G(\vec{k}, s) = H(s)\frac{sin(|\vec{k}|s)}{|\vec{k}|} = \frac{H(s)}{4\pi s}\delta(|\vec{x}|-s) \Rightarrow G(\vec{x},s) = \frac{H(s)}{4\pi s}\delta(s - |\vec{x}|). $$ Now clearly this doesn't work (and if it does, it doesn't make much sense to me). Why is it that the arguments within the delta function switch signs? Moreover, I'm not sure the correct way to get the retarded Green's Function from its Fourier Transform.

My professor also wrote this in her course book without an explanation, and simply uses the result to eventually obtain the electromagnetic potentials in the Lorentz gauge. If anyone has any other thoughts to help make this method and steps more intuitive, that would also be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This belongs in the 'calculus & beyond' math forum.

1. What is a Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian?

A Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian is a mathematical function used in the study of partial differential equations, specifically the D'Alembertian operator. It represents the solution to the wave equation in a specific region of space and time.

2. How is the Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian related to the wave equation?

The Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian is a fundamental solution to the wave equation. This means that when used in combination with the D'Alembertian operator, it produces a solution that satisfies the wave equation.

3. What are the applications of the Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian?

The Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of electromagnetism, acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to study wave propagation, scattering, and diffraction phenomena.

4. How is the Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian calculated?

The Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian is usually calculated using integral transforms, such as the Fourier transform or Laplace transform. It can also be derived using the method of images or the method of characteristics.

5. What is the significance of the term "retarded" in the Retarded Green's Function for D'Alembertian?

The term "retarded" refers to the fact that the solution to the wave equation at a given point in space and time is affected only by events that occurred at earlier times. This is because the Retarded Green's Function takes into account the finite speed of wave propagation.