Calculating Electron Strike Rate in an X-Ray Tube at 50mA Current

  • Thread starter Thread starter theCandyman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Current Photons
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
theCandyman
Messages
397
Reaction score
2
I'm ignoring the template because I don't think it's appropiate for the help I want.

The problem I'm given:
How many electrons per second strike the target in an X-ray tube operating at a current of 50mA?

First off, if this is an X-ray tube, where are these electrons coming from, the target? And how why is current for photons measured in amperes? I thought there needed to be charge for there to be current.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, maybe you should look up "X ray tube". The electrons are accelerated in the tube then hit a target generating the x-rays. That is the current referred to.
 
An X-ray tube is basically a discharge tube (i.e. a neon or fluorescent light) with a tungsten plate at one end acting as an annode. Electrons travel across a vacuum with high energy and excite tungsten atoms which then emit X-rays when they return to ground level. This question therefore has nothing to do with X-rays but is mainly an electronics question. What relation do you know that links current and charge, and what do you know of the charge on an electron?