1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary Target X-Ray Tubes - Energy

1. Aug 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An x-ray tube with a stationary target is operated with a constant voltage and current of 100kV and 50mA for 0.2s . Approximately how much energy will be deposited as heat in the target and how much emitted as x-rays?

2. Relevant equations
    ##P=IV## ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is not coursework but preparation for an exam, it is is a past paper question.

I'm just a bit confused really as I cant find any reference to how to calculate the ammount as heat/x-rays etc.

But the Energy in 1/5s would just be
    [itex]
    P=IV=(50 \times 10^{-3})(1 \times 10^5)=5000[/itex] W
    So therefore in 1/5s of a second the energy would be 1000J.

But how do I work out how much of that is heat or x-rays? Is that even correct as it? The only reference to anything at all relating to this in the lecture notes/slides says that usually only around 1% is x-rays, so I dont know if the question just wants me to say that and therefore say ~10J as x-rays and 990J as heat?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2016 #2
    i think the quoted estimate of 1% of energy being emitted as X-rays is an operational figure and the details of the estimate can not be done with the available data.
    There are formulae for estimating the continuous X-ray intensity and it is proportional to Z the atomic number, tube current and square of the Potential difference applied.about one percent of the KE of electrons are used up in producing X-rays.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted