Calculating Energy and Time for a Proton Crossing the Milky Way Galaxy

  • Thread starter Thread starter jk4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
jk4

Homework Statement


In its own frame of reference, a proton takes 5 min to cross the Milky Way galaxy, which is about [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years in diameter.
(a) What is the approximate energy of the proton in electronvolts?
(b) About how long would the proton take to cross the galaxy as measured by an observer in the galaxy's reference frame?

mass of proton = [tex]1.6726 x 10^{-27} kg[/tex]
[tex]1eV = 1.602 x 10^{-19} J*s[/tex]

Homework Equations


It says the problem belongs to the "Energy and Momentum" section, so here are those equations:
[tex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]p = \gamma mv[/tex]
[tex]E^{2} = (mc^{2})^{2} + p^{2}c^{2}[/tex]
[tex]E = pc[/tex] (Massless particle, probably doesn't apply to this problem)

The Attempt at a Solution


well, I'm pretty confused. I calculated that the distance of [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years corresponds to about [tex]9.45 x 10^{15} m[/tex]. But I can't figure out how to proceed from here.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer but a little help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt.
Write down the time dilation equation. Then use
[tex]v={L\over \Delta t^'}[/tex] i.e. proper length divided time observed by a stationary observer in the Milky way.
Putting these together you can get the speed. The rest is gravy.
As a guide, I get the order of 10^3 in joules for the energy. That sucker is flyin.

Good luck.
 
Last edited:
The galaxies velocity in the proton's rest frame is
v/c=(L/5 min)/gamma (a dimensionless number).
Use this equation to find gamma. Be careful with the numbers
The proton's energy is E=\gamma mc^2. Use mc^2=931 MeV for a proton.
The time to cross the galaxy in its rest frame is T=gamma X 5 min.