Calculating energy density in the early Universe

In summary, the author is trying to calculate the energy density in the early Universe and has found an equation to do so. However, the non-trivial part is finding the individual energy densities for different particles. He has found that when he has:\rho = \frac{\pi^{2}}{30}gT^{4} \text{for bosons}\rho = \frac{7}{8} \frac{\pi^{2}}{30}gT^{4} \text{for fermions} ,he ends up with 6 different densities that he sums up and then divides by the number of different particles.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

I've been told to calculate the energy density in the early Universe. It states that it is completely dominated by neutrinos (3 species), photons, electrons, and positrons.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I've found an equation to calculate the energy density for bosons and fermions, with different [itex]g[/itex]-factors (degree of freedom) for each type of particle. So that doesn't seem to complicated. But, in order to get the energy density of the early Universe, I need to incorporate all particles in this density - is my guess.
My thought is just to calculate and energy density for each particle, and then sum up, and divide by the number of different particles. But that just seems to trivial, so is that the way to go, or am I missing something in order to do this correctly ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Denver Dang said:
My thought is just to calculate and energy density for each particle, and then sum up
Right.
Denver Dang said:
and divide by the number of different particles.
There is no need to do that.

The non-trivial part is the calculation of the individual energy densities.

mfb said:
Right.There is no need to do that.

The non-trivial part is the calculation of the individual energy densities.
So actually, when I have:
[tex]\rho = \frac{\pi^{2}}{30}gT^{4} \text{for bosons}[/tex]
[tex]\rho = \frac{7}{8} \frac{\pi^{2}}{30}gT^{4} \text{for fermions} ,[/tex]
where
[itex]g_{\gamma} = 2, g_{\nu} = g_{\bar{\nu}} = 1, g_{e^-} = g_{e^+} = 2[/itex]
I actually just end up with 6 different densities (Some of them the same of course due to the degree of freedom), that I sum up, and that's pretty much it ? Almost seems to easy :)

You have to find the temperatures, and those formulas don't take rest mass of electrons and positrons into account (if early enough, that should be fine).

Ah, well, the problem states, that I have to find it at [itex]T = 1 MeV[/itex], so that shouldn't be a problem.

Well, the electron mass is 0.5 MeV so it does not seem safe to neglect it if T = 1 MeV.

@Orodruin
Well, can't I just not neglect it ? It's only 6 equations, so it's not that big of a problem. Or am I missing something ?

Not neglecting it would involve using a more general expression for the energy density than provided in the OP. The mass implies a different equilibrium distribution and hence a different energy density. Other than that, no problem.

Also note that the neutrino temperature can be different at that point.
Things get interesting.

But why exactly do I need to neglect electrons/positrons ? If they have masses of about 0.5 MeV, the the neutrinos have above and below that, with a lot. Why are they not neglected ?

You are not supposed to neglect electrons and positrons. What we said is that you have to take their masses into account.

Neutrinos can be considered massless for the purposes of this problem.

Hmmm, I see why I could ignore the electron neutrino, but doesn't the tau neutrino have large masses compared to electrons ?

No.

Being a picky neutrino physicist: Flavor neutrino states do not have definite masses but are linear superpositions of mass eigenstates. The square of the mass eigenstate masses differ by less than 1 eV^2.

Thus, all neutrino masses are negligible in this setting.

But in this setting, I have the equation above, which gives me the density for different particles, if I choose the right degree of freedom. And the only difference between photons/electrons/positrons and neutrinos are the degree of freedom 1 instead of 2. That shouldn't give a so small value, that it could be ignored, compared to the other particles ?

And T is the same in all equations, i.e. T = 1 MeV, isn't it ?

As pointed out by mfb in post #4, your expressions for the energy densities hold only for massless particles and do not hold if the particle masses cannot be neglected.

Denver Dang said:
And T is the same in all equations, i.e. T = 1 MeV, isn't it ?
The temperature as function of time was different for neutrinos and the other particles. This became more notable for colder temperatures, I'm not sure how important it is at 1 MeV. Today photons have 3 K while neutrinos have 2 K.

Neutrino decoupling happens at about 1.5 MeV. However, they do not really become colder until electron decoupling when the photons are heated. The question is how non-relativistic the electrons have become and thus how much the photons have been heated already and how many electrons are left. At 1 MeV I would not dare to make an off-the-top-of-my-head estimate without making some checks.

1. How is energy density calculated in the early Universe?

The energy density in the early Universe is calculated by using the formula for energy density, which is the total energy divided by the volume. In the case of the early Universe, the total energy includes the energy from all forms of matter and radiation present, such as photons, neutrinos, and dark matter. The volume is determined by the size of the observable Universe at that time.

2. What is the significance of calculating energy density in the early Universe?

Calculating the energy density in the early Universe helps us understand the evolution and dynamics of the Universe. It also provides insights into the composition of the Universe and the role of different forms of energy in driving its expansion and development.

3. What are the challenges in calculating energy density in the early Universe?

One of the main challenges in calculating energy density in the early Universe is accounting for the different forms of matter and energy present, as well as their interactions. Another challenge is obtaining precise measurements and data from the early Universe, which is a difficult task due to its vastness and the limitations of our technology.

4. How has our understanding of energy density in the early Universe evolved over time?

Our understanding of energy density in the early Universe has evolved significantly over time, thanks to advancements in technology and theoretical models. In the early 20th century, scientists believed the Universe to be static and unchanging, but later observations and experiments led to the discovery of the expanding Universe and the concept of the Big Bang. With the development of new theories and experiments, our understanding of energy density in the early Universe continues to evolve.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding energy density in the early Universe?

Understanding energy density in the early Universe has practical applications in various fields, such as cosmology, particle physics, and astrophysics. It can also help us gain insights into the fundamental laws and principles that govern the Universe, which can have broader implications in fields like quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, understanding energy density in the early Universe can also aid in the development of new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the Universe.