Light if energy density of photons were constant

In summary, the question asks at what rate stars would need to produce light in order for the energy density of photons in the universe to remain constant. This can be calculated using the equation e = c^2/(8*pi*G) and assuming current cosmological parameters. However, due to the accelerating expansion of the universe, it is unlikely that the photon density can be kept constant over time.
toughcanesrock

Homework Statement

At what rate would stars have to be producing light (how many photons per second per solar mass start) in order for the energy density of photons in the universe be constant? Assume current values of cosmological parameters. Do it for current time.

Homework Equations

e = c^2/(8*pi*G)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I understand that the photon density decreases linearly as time goes on. I am able to calculate the photon energy density for current time and parameters. But now how do I calculate the amount of light that needs to be produced for that number to be constant throughout all of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question but I'm pretty sure that the accelerating expansion of the universe means that it either already is, or at the very least will definitely become, impossible for the photon density to be constant. At some point, and whether or not it has already been reached or not I don't know, there just isn't any amount of photon production that can keep up with the accelerating expansion.

1. What is energy density of photons?

The energy density of photons refers to the amount of energy contained in a certain volume of space. It is a measure of the concentration of photons, which are the smallest unit of light and carry energy.

2. How is the energy density of photons related to light?

The energy density of photons is directly related to light because photons are the fundamental building blocks of light. The more photons present in a given volume, the higher the energy density of light will be.

3. How does the energy density of photons affect the behavior of light?

The energy density of photons affects the behavior of light in several ways. It determines the intensity and brightness of light, as well as its ability to travel through different mediums and interact with matter.

4. Is the energy density of photons constant?

No, the energy density of photons is not constant. It can vary depending on the source of light, the wavelength of light, and the environment the light is passing through. For example, the energy density of photons is higher in sunlight compared to moonlight.

5. How does the energy density of photons relate to the speed of light?

The energy density of photons is not directly related to the speed of light. However, the speed of light is affected by the energy density of photons in a medium. The higher the energy density, the slower the speed of light will be in that medium.