Calculating Energy Needed to Fill a 100ft Round Tank with Gasoline

  • Thread starter Thread starter mellbee
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
mellbee
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
This one has everyone stumped. Help ??!

Even went out to the college for help with this one. A round tak is 100 feet in diameter. It is to be filled with gasoline from the BOTTOM. The gasoline weighs 40 lbs per cubic foot. How much ENERGY in ergs will be required to fill the tank ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like Homework to me... Please show your attempted solution in order to get help.

Hint: Consider the change in potential energy
 
Not homework, but bonus question on a test that has been driving me up the wall. Will get the answer next week, but it's killing me. Thanks.
 
Well, I tried to figure out how to set up the intergal, but that was a far as I got. If I could figure out how to set up my integral, I would be able to evaluate easily. I think my problem is that I'm a calc 2 student who hasn't had any physics, and that is why this is stumping me.
 
If you'd had some physics, you'd see that you can solve this without having to explicitly integrate. See the hint in post #2.