Calculating Energy Requirements for Satellite Placement in Circular Earth Orbit

  • Thread starter Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
rocketboy
Messages
243
Reaction score
1
Hey everyone,

The following question is giving my friend and I a really hard time. My work is shown below.

'what is the total amount of energy needed to place a 2.0 x 10^3 kg satellite in circular Earth orbit, at an altitude of 5.0 x 10^2km above the surface of the earth?

Here are all the numbers needed to carry out the problem:

M = 5.8 x 10^24 kg (mass of earth)
m = 5.0 x 10 3 kg (mass of satellite)
r1 = 6.38 x 10^6 m (radius of earth)
r2 = 5.0 x 10^5 m + 6.38 x 10^6 m (altitude plus radius of earth)
G = 6.67 x 10^-11 N/kg. (Earth's gravitational field strength)

I figured that the energy needed would be equal to the energy of the satellite in orbit minus the energy of the satellite on Earth's surface...giving thus:

E(needed) = -1/2(GMm/r2) - (-GMm/r1)

where did I go wrong?

Thx!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
uh...oops...lol, thanks man. yea that should be 500 km. i'll edit it out in the first post.
 
alright, but it still gives me the wrong answer...the correct one is 6.7 x 10^10 J.
 
rocketboy said:
...
E(needed) = -1/2(GMm/r2) - (-GMm/r1)
...
Just noticed, where did the -1/2 come from ? is that another typo ?
 
the equation for total energy is -1/2(GMm/r2) is it not?
 
rocketboy said:
alright, but it still gives me the wrong answer...the correct one is 6.7 x 10^10 J.
Hmm, I got 8.8 x 10^9 J.
I'll check my working.
 
rocketboy said:
the equation for total energy is -1/2(GMm/r2) is it not?
To be honest, I've never seen that expression.
I used calculus and got,
E(needed) = GMm(1/r1 - 1/r2)
 
Interesting...using my method I got a similar answer to yours.

I'm starting to think the answer given to me is wrong. Thanks a lot for all your help man!