1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating error in pendulum motion

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to calculate the propagated error on g of pendulum. I pretty much measured the T of pendulum and now calculating g while increasing the number of cycles.

2. Relevant equations
    I used the equation of propagated error and i included picture of it and my calculations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged all the values into the equation but what bothers me is the size of the error. For 20 cycles I get g=9.776, but my error is 0.02. This seems like a huge error, and would mean that my g would equal to 9.78. Anyone sees any mistake?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To avoid a crick in the neck

Attached Files:

4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    Thanks! Makes it more convenient.

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4
    Here is picture of the equation and detail calculations.
    * I don't know how to rotate the picture, sorry.

Edit: Image rotated by moderator:

Pend Calc.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Most platforms have ways to rotate an image. What type of computer are you working from?

7. Feb 5, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't see any mistakes (but I didn't check all your calculations). Why do you think your error is "huge"?

8. Feb 5, 2017 #7
    Here, I figured it out.

Attached Files:

9. Feb 5, 2017 #8
    Well I think it's huge because it would mean that I can trust my g only to 3 sig figs. So I pretty much throw away one sig fig.

10. Feb 5, 2017 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

3 sig figs seems OK to me. For 20 cycles you have a fractional error in T of about .001/1.44 ≅ .0007. But note that T is squared in the formula for g. So, the contribution of the error in T to the relative error in g should be roughly 2(.0007) ≅ .001. The contribution of the error in L to the relative error in g is roughly .0006/.51 ≅ .001. So, I don't think it's surprising that when you use your more accurate formula to determine the error in g, you find that you are only getting 3 sig. figs. for g.

11. Feb 5, 2017 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

upload_2017-2-5_14-17-45.png
    You made an error in grinding the numbers here.

12. Feb 5, 2017 #11
    Wow. Thanks a a lot. Now it makes way more sense for that cycle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted