Calculating Final Speed After Momentum Boost of 85N

  • Thread starter Thread starter Drevin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Drevin
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
A 5kg model vehicle traveling at 14 m/s experiences a rocket boost of 85N (in the direction of motion) for 20s. What is the resulting speed?

I tried using:

F = mv/t, but that didn't work out for me.

85 = 5v/20
85*20 = 5v
1700/5 = v
v = 340 m/s

but, that's wrong... what am I doing incorrectly? thanks.

edit: I guess you could consider impulse actually, heh... whoops
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try

v(t)=v_initial + a*t

F=m*a ----> a=F/m
 
Last edited:
In this case F*t = mVf - mVi, in other words, the Ft equals the change in momentum.