Calculating Force of a Nail Stopping a Hammer with Constant Acceleration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mdhiggenz
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A man applies 50N downward force on a 9.8N
hammer. V0=5.0m/s. Stopped by a nail in d=0.50cm
• Assuming constant acceleration: Fnail/hammer
=?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I am completely stumped on how to start this problem. What I have done so far is.

Make two free body diagrams one for the force being applied by the man and one for the hammer.

I know the nail is 0.005m

I know I have to do some form of wtotal= K2-K1

I tried solving for K using 1/2mv^2 and since the acceleration is constant K1 will be 0 , and I rearranged the formula wtotal= k2-k1 to be wtotal +0=k2

I have no idea what else I can do. Guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Higgenz
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the acceleration is constant what does this tell you about the force creating the acceleration? Is it changing in time? What is the relation between force, distance parallel to the force, and work?