Calculating Forces and Kinetic Friction for a System of Connected Blocks

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving two blocks connected by a string over an ideal pulley. The bottom block is tied to a string and exerting a force F causes the blocks to move at constant velocity. The blocks have a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.400 and the value of m is given as 260 g. The conversation includes setting up equations, using free body diagrams, and solving for F. The main issue discussed is the incorrect treatment of forces as parallel instead of using vector addition. The correct approach is to separate vertical and horizontal components and sum the forces in each direction separately.
Sagrebella

Hi everyone,

I'm having a difficult time figuring out this problem. Could someone give me some pointers? I set up the equations and the free body diagrams (hopefully they're correct) ; all I have to do now is solve for F.1. Homework Statement

A block of mass m is on top of a block of mass
M = 5m.
The two blocks are connected by a string that passes over an ideal pulley. The bottom block is also tied to a string - exerting a force F, after the blocks have been set in motion, causes the blocks to move at constant velocity.
5-p-105a.png

Use
g = 10 N/kg
for this problem. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces in contact is 0.400.

Homework Equations

FN1= normal force of small block
FN2= normal force of large block
Fk1 = force of kinetic friction on small block
Fk2 = force of kinetic friction on large block
FT = force of tension

Bock 1 (small)

FN1 - m1g + Fk1 - FT = 0

Block 2 (large)

FN2 - m2g - FN1 + F - Fk1 - FT - Fk2 = 0

EDIT: so sorry, I missed the second part of the question!

[/B]
If the value of m is 260 g, what is the value of F?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
- I set both equations equal to zero because they are moving at constant velocity, and hence constant acceleration, which makes the total force equal to zero
- Next, I set both equations equal to each other through the tension (FT)
- I replaced the term Fk1 and Fk2 with the equations for kinetic friction and then attempted to solve ...

My answer came out to 10 N, but this is wrong. What can I do to get the right answer?

Thanks

Pictures shown below for more detail ...

IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In setting up your equations, it looks like you are treating the forces as though they are all parallel to one another.

When you add vectors, such as forces, you must use vector addition.

(Your free body diagrams look very good.)

Last edited:
TSny said:
In setting up your equations, it looks like you are treating the forces as though they are all parallel to one another.

When you add vectors, such a forces, you must use vector addition.

(Your free body diagrams look very good.)

Thanks for the complement. Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Did I not add the forces like vectors? I indicated whether they are moving in the positive or negative direction in the equation and in the diagram (I even drew a little coordinate plane next to the FBDs in order to differentiate the positive and negative directions).

Sagrebella said:
Did I not add the forces like vectors?
Normally, the way people work problems like this is they break it down into x and y components. You are adding vertical forces with horizontal forces, which doesn't make a lot of sense. That, I believe, is what @TSny meant by treating all forces as if they were parallel.

One other comment of mine: I didn't see a value for mass m. Maybe I missed it. It looks like you are using 0.26 kg. I just didn't see that in the problem statement.

As I mentioned, adding vertical and horizontal forces together doesn't make a lot of sense. But since there is no acceleration in the vertical direction, those forces should sum to zero and not affect the answer. However, it looks like your FN2 does not account for the weight of the smaller block sitting on top of the larger block. The normal force, FN2, has to equal the weight of both blocks. If it doesn't, there would be acceleration.

So in summary, if you simply eliminate all of the vertical forces in your equations, I suspect you will get the correct answer.

TomHart said:
Normally, the way people work problems like this is they break it down into x and y components. You are adding vertical forces with horizontal forces, which doesn't make a lot of sense. That, I believe, is what @TSny meant by treating all forces as if they were parallel.

One other comment of mine: I didn't see a value for mass m. Maybe I missed it. It looks like you are using 0.26 kg. I just didn't see that in the problem statement.

yes, so sorry, I forgot to include the second part of the problem :nb)If the value of m is 260 g, what is the value of F?

and, I think I understand what you're saying. Would the vertical forces simply not be included in the equation because they cancel out (normal force and force of gravity are equal and opposite) ?

Sagrebella said:
Would the vertical forces simply not be included in the equation because they cancel out (normal force and force of gravity are equal and opposite) ?
Yes, they will cancel out in this case. And you know that because there is no acceleration in the y direction. I have seen people add x and y components in the same equation by designating an i and j vector for x and y direction. But for me, it makes it clearer for me if you separate out vertical and horizontal components.

So for me, I sum the forces in the x direction and sum the forces in the y direction, keeping them completely separate.

TomHart said:
Yes, they will cancel out in this case. And you know that because there is no acceleration in the y direction. I have seen people add x and y components in the same equation by designating an i and j vector for x and y direction. But for me, it makes it clearer for me if you separate out vertical and horizontal components.

So for me, I sum the forces in the x direction and sum the forces in the y direction, keeping them completely separate.

Ok, thank you, that makes sense; hopefully I got your point. Here is my revised work; does it look better now?

Note: Block A is the small block, Block B is the big block
IMG_3109.JPG

Sagrebella said:
Ok, thank you, that makes sense; hopefully I got your point. Here is my revised work; does it look better now?
BEAUTIFUL!

Likes TomHart
TSny said:
BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks! :smile: but is the answer correct?

Sagrebella said:
Thanks! :smile: but is the answer correct?
It agrees with my answer. (Of course, that might not mean much.)

Likes Sagrebella
TSny said:
I got the same answer so it may mean less than it did before. :)

Likes Sagrebella and TSny
TSny said:

wonderful! And the answer is indeed correct ( I just inputed it into my online homework). Thank you both for your help. I look forward to your assistance with future problems.

Likes TomHart

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or a pull that can cause an object to move, change direction, or change shape.

2. What is kinetic friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or moves across a surface.

3. How is kinetic friction different from static friction?

Kinetic friction occurs when an object is already in motion, while static friction occurs when an object is at rest and trying to be put into motion.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic friction?

The amount of kinetic friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

5. How is kinetic friction measured?

Kinetic friction is typically measured using a spring scale or a force sensor, which measures the force required to keep an object moving at a constant speed across a surface.