Calculating Force on a Scale in an Elevator: A 57.0 kg Girl's Weight Measurement

  • Thread starter Thread starter lim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
lim
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 57.0 kg girl weighs herself by standing on a scale in an elevator. What is the force exerted by the scale when the elevator is descending at a constant speed of 10 m/s?
What is the force exerted by the scale if the elevator is accelerating downward with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2?
If the elevator's descending speed is measured at 10 m/s at a given point, but its speed is decreasing by 2.0 m/s2, what is the force exerted by the scale?

Homework Equations


F=ma, Fs-W=ma


The Attempt at a Solution


I got the first part, 9.8(57) = 558.6 N.

For the second part I used Fs-W=ma, Fs - 558.6 = (57)2, Fs= 672 N. But that was wrong...?

For the 3rd part, I used F=ma, but F= 57 (-2) = -144 N, and that wasn't right either.

Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are making sign mistakes. For the second part write Fs+W=ma. Fs is always in the up direction, so let's call that the + direction. The weight acts down so I should put that in with a minus sign, ditto acceleration is down, so put that in with a minus sign. Fs-558.6N=(57kg)*(-2)m/s^2. Now what do you get? What happens in part three?
 
Last edited:
I'm confused about part three. They give me an acceleration(-2.0 m/s^2) and I have the mass (57 kg), but how do I tie in the velocity(10m/s)?
 
The elevators downward speed is DECREASING. This means its acceleration is actually UPWARDS at 2m/sec^2. You do the same thing with the 10m/sec that you did in part one. The current speed doesn't have anything to do with the current acceleration.