Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating forces on a Moncoque chassis

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hi There,

This is my first post but hopefully you can help me,

Im a 2nd Year Motorsport Engineering student, Ive been set the task of doing a short presentation on how you calculate the forces acting on a car chassis, with some example calculations.

My classmate and myself have backed ourselves into a corner slightly by choosing to do this on the Monocoque chassis, which I am majorly struggling with! Wishing we had chosen spaceframe now!

Would be great if someone could point me in the direction, or maybe recommend a paper or technical report?

Thanks in advance!
    Max

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

welcome Max
    nice to see some one interested in motor sports..i have brrn since 1966

read page two on

Race car suspension Class
    posted by Ranger Mike
    Jul29-09, 02:31 PM
    go to Search link above

give you an example of loads during cornering..now as far as chassis strength
    relative to roll over and crash strength...a little reverse engineering would be in order
    i would consult the rule book of the sanctioning organization for minimum build spec for the car class, then calculate the components strength accordingly..I know Nascar spent a ton of money researching this exact point after Dale T boned the wall at Daytona..the specs may be way over engineered ..but you can bet your ....life..they are safe..
    rm

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    Thanks! I will give that thread a read

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook