Calculate dimensions of floating laptop stand

In summary, the DIY acrylic laptop stand needs to be designed with a layer of glue to prevent the laptop from sliding and to provide air convection and cooling.
cdasjdnas
TL;DR Summary
For a DIY acrylic laptop stand (made from 1 bent acrylic sheet), the dimensions need to be found in order to hold a 2kg laptop.
I am planning to build my own laptop stand with an acrylic sheet. The final product should look like the one in the attached image (bottom right)

Material: most laptop stands are made with 6mm acrylic thickness, hence this is what I will use. Also I already have this material at home.

I am stuck on how to calculate the necessary dimensions for the stand. The stand is in contact with the table only via the bottom side aka. the floor side. What lengths L1, L2 and L3 do I need to ensure that the stand does not fall forwards when a laptop of max. 2kg is placed on it?

I am not asking for somebody to calculate it for me. I am asking for somebody to guide me through the steps so that I can calculate it myself.

I have a rough idea on what is needed, however do not know how to start with the calculation process.
The laptop max weight is 20N which is acting downwards. Then there is the friction force acting up along the laptop stand surface where the laptop is placed on.

Attachments

• idea.jpg
    idea.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 131
Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems to me you need to determine the Center of Gravity along the X axis for the most severe positions of the lid first. Then make sure it never falls outside the foot-print of the base.

Welcome to PF.

cdasjdnas said:
Summary:: For a DIY acrylic laptop stand (made from 1 bent acrylic sheet), the dimensions need to be found in order to hold a 2kg laptop.

I am planning to build my own laptop stand with an acrylic sheet. The final product should look like the one in the attached image (bottom right)

I think you will need to add some internal vertical bracing to make it more rigid. As drawn, it looks like it will be way too flexible and annoying to type on.

Last edited:
Likes Dr.D
For tipping stability, be sure to account for pushing (typing) on the keyboard! It would be sufficient to have the part that rests on the table extend slightly beyond the keyboard. That ensures that the downward force on the keyboard is always supported.

Have Fun!
Tom

p.s. You may want some no-slip feet on the bottom to prevent sliding on the table. These could be the common stick-on ones (that always seem to come un-stuck), some rubber electrical tape (hard to find the stuff though), or just some silicone rubber adhesive smeared on.

thanks for all the replies! I'm going to calculate the center of gravity later on, I've already divided my sketch into triangles and rectangles.

the stand will only be used as a stand - no typing on it. I have planned on adding a layer of glue with my glue gun on the bottom side and on the surface where the laptop is placed on to have a gap between laptop and stand. Is this useful? for like air convection and cooling...

1. How do you calculate the dimensions of a floating laptop stand?

To calculate the dimensions of a floating laptop stand, you will need to consider the size of the laptop that it will be holding, as well as the desired height and width of the stand. You may also need to factor in the thickness of the materials used and any additional features, such as a keyboard tray or storage compartments.

2. What materials are typically used to make a floating laptop stand?

Floating laptop stands are often made from lightweight and sturdy materials such as wood, metal, or plastic. The choice of material will depend on the desired aesthetic, weight capacity, and budget.

3. How much weight can a floating laptop stand hold?

The weight capacity of a floating laptop stand will vary depending on the materials used and the design of the stand. It is important to check the weight capacity before purchasing to ensure it can safely hold your laptop.

4. Can a floating laptop stand be adjusted for different heights?

Some floating laptop stands may have adjustable heights, allowing for a more personalized setup. However, not all stands will have this feature, so it is important to check the product specifications before purchasing.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a floating laptop stand?

When properly installed and used, a floating laptop stand should pose no safety concerns. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and weight capacity to ensure the stand is secure and stable.