1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating forces using point charges.

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    A small charge of 4 x 10^-6 C is located at the point x=2 m, y=3 m in the xy-plane. A second small charge of -3 x 10^-6 C is at the point x=4 m, y=-2 m.

A) Calculate the force that the first charge exerts on the second. Express your answer in both terms of magnitude and angle, and also in i , j notation.
    B) A) Calculate the force that the second charge exerts on the first. Express your answer in both terms of magnitude and angle, and also in i , j notation.

I'm not really sure where to start with this, since we have just started a new term and haven't done much in lecture. I was unable to ask the professor for help since his office hours conflict with one of my other courses. Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    Are you familiar with Coulomb's law? This will help you out if you know that. Also you will need to split up the forces into x-y components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook