Calculating ∆G for the Formation of Phosphorus Trichloride

  • Thread starter Thread starter peaking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Delta Value
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
peaking
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement

Calculate the value of Go for the formation of 1 mol of phosphorus trichloride from its constituent elements:

P2(g) + 3 Cl2(g) ---> 2 PCl3(g)



The attempt at a solution

I thought of trying delta G = delta H - T deltaS , but I'm lost on where to start.



Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
* Calculate the value of ∆G for the formation of 1 mol of phosphorus trichloride from its constituent elements

Sorry, typed in Go instead of ∆G.

I figured out ∆H and ∆S already (not sure if it's correct)

∆H = -725.2 kJ
∆S = 263.6 J/K

but in the equation ∆G = ∆H - T∆S I'm not sure what the temperature is suppose to be. I got the thermodynamic quantities at 25 degrees Celsius, do I use that as T even though it doesn't state the temperature in the question?

Thanks
 
Last edited: