Calculating geometry for single pivot arm

In summary, the speaker is building a light electric vehicle for fun and is experimenting with a single arm suspension. They are planning to use a Fox Float Air Shock with various adjustments and are seeking advice on how to calculate a linear or slightly progressive geometry. They also mention wanting to control and change the progression of the geometry if they decide to use a different type of absorber. The speaker clarifies that their suspension is not meant to be a multi-linkage geometry, but rather a triangle with an axis of rotation, travel point, and shock mounting point. They are looking for help with calculating spring rate, mounting angle, motion rate, and wheel rate.
trial_
Hi, Guys, I am building light electric vehicle for fun and hobby.

I am experimenting with stuff, but have some difficulty calculating a reasonable geometry for the suspension.

It is a SINGLE arm suspension and I am planing to use Fox Float Air Shock with length 190mm, it has pressure control and compression and rebound adjustments. Progressive behavior.

I am attaching a picture with explanation what I am trying to achieve, if somebody can point me in direction how to calculate a linear or slightly progressive geometry I will be super grateful! Also, how to control and change, the progression of the geometry, if I decide to use another type of absorber.

It is NOT meant to be multi linkage geometry, only one rocking part, pretty much a triangle - axis of rotation, travel point and the last point where I mount the shock, which I am looking to calculate somehow.

Thanks a lot :)

Geometry Question.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
the answers are in race car suspension class posted above including calculations of spring rate for mounting angle, motion rate wheel rate etc...

1. How do I calculate the length of a single pivot arm?

The length of a single pivot arm can be calculated by measuring the distance between the pivot point and the end of the arm. This distance is also known as the radius of the arm.

2. What is the formula for calculating the angle of a single pivot arm?

The formula for calculating the angle of a single pivot arm is θ = arc length / radius, where θ represents the angle in radians, arc length represents the distance traveled along the circumference of the arm, and radius represents the length of the arm.

3. How do I determine the torque of a single pivot arm?

The torque of a single pivot arm can be determined by multiplying the force applied to the arm by the length of the arm. This can be represented by the formula τ = F x r, where τ represents torque, F represents force, and r represents the length of the arm.

4. What factors can affect the stability of a single pivot arm?

The stability of a single pivot arm can be affected by the length of the arm, the weight of the load being carried, and the angle of the arm. A longer arm, heavier load, and larger angle can all decrease the stability of the arm.

5. How can I improve the efficiency of a single pivot arm?

The efficiency of a single pivot arm can be improved by reducing the weight of the arm and the load being carried, as well as by using materials with low friction. Additionally, optimizing the angle and length of the arm can also improve its efficiency.