Calculating heat released from excess enthalpy

In summary, excess enthalpy, also known as heat of mixing, is the amount of heat released or absorbed when two or more substances are mixed together. To calculate the heat released from excess enthalpy, the equation Q = mCΔT can be used, where Q is the heat released, m is the mass of the mixture, C is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This calculation is important in understanding energy changes during mixing, predicting temperature changes, and determining the feasibility of a chemical reaction. The heat released from excess enthalpy can be affected by the types and amounts of substances, as well as the temperature and any other reactions or processes in the system. However, one limitation
rwooduk
Hello,

I am currently trying to determine the method to calculate the heat absorbed / released when a gas and liquid mix. I believe that this is known as the heat/enthalpy of mixing (or excess molar enthalpy). I also believe, that if this value is negative it means an exothermic reaction (heat released), if the value is positive it means an endothermic reaction (heat absorbed).

I'd really appreciate some direction on where to go from here. How would I calculate the actual heat absorbed/released from the heat of mixing value.

Thanks for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hello,

Calculating the heat released from excess enthalpy can be done using the following equation:

Q = nΔH

Where Q is the heat released, n is the number of moles of the substance involved, and ΔH is the change in enthalpy (in joules/mol).

To calculate the excess molar enthalpy, you will first need to determine the initial and final enthalpy values for the gas and liquid mixture. This can be done by using the heat capacity and temperature of each component.

Once you have these values, you can use the equation:

ΔH = Hfinal - Hinitial

Where ΔH is the change in enthalpy, Hfinal is the final enthalpy value, and Hinitial is the initial enthalpy value.

If the resulting ΔH value is negative, it means that the reaction is exothermic and heat is released. If the value is positive, it means that the reaction is endothermic and heat is absorbed.

To calculate the actual heat released or absorbed, you will need to know the amount of substance involved (in moles). You can then use the first equation mentioned to determine the heat released or absorbed.

I hope this helps. If you need more specific guidance, I suggest consulting a textbook or reaching out to a chemistry tutor for further assistance. Good luck!

What is excess enthalpy?

Excess enthalpy is the difference between the actual enthalpy of a system and the enthalpy that would be present in an ideal system at the same temperature and pressure.

Why is it important to calculate heat released from excess enthalpy?

Calculating heat released from excess enthalpy is important because it allows us to determine the amount of energy that is released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of a system.

How do you calculate heat released from excess enthalpy?

The heat released from excess enthalpy can be calculated using the formula Q = m x ∆H, where Q is the heat released, m is the mass of the substance, and ∆H is the change in enthalpy.

What units are used to measure heat released from excess enthalpy?

The SI unit for heat released from excess enthalpy is joules (J). However, it is also commonly measured in kilojoules (kJ) or calories (cal).

Can heat released from excess enthalpy be negative?

Yes, heat released from excess enthalpy can be negative. A negative value indicates that the reaction or process is exothermic, meaning that heat is being released from the system. A positive value, on the other hand, indicates an endothermic reaction or process, where heat is absorbed by the system.