1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating height in free falling problems

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A student stands at the edge of a vertical cliff and throws a stone vertically upwards. The stone leaves the student's hand with a speed of v=8.0m/s, the acceleration of free fall is 10m/s2 and all distance measurements are taken from the point where the stone leaves the student's hand. Ignoring air resistance calculate the time taken by the stone to reach its maximum height.

The time between the stone's leaving Antionio's hand and hitting the sea is 3.0s. Determine the height of the cliff.

2. Relevant equations

unknown

3. The attempt at a solution
    s= ut + 1/2at2
    s= (8)(3) + 1/2(10)(3)2
    s= 69

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you take positive as up, then negative is down. Which way does vo (u) act? Which way does the acceleration act? Which way is the displacement of the stone to the sea? Don't forget part a.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    i think i understand what your saying but i don't understand how to use the information to solve the problem

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the equation you wrote for displacement, you have a signage error in one of the terms on the right side of the equation. Can you spot it??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook