Stone thrown off a cliff: height and angle

In summary, a stone thrown horizontally with a velocity of 15 m/s from the top of a vertical cliff strikes the ground at a distance of 45 m from the base of the cliff. To find the height of the cliff, the equation s = v*t was used, where s represents the height, v represents the velocity, and t represents time. The stone falls for 3 seconds, so the height is calculated to be 45 m. To find the angle of the stone's path at the moment of impact, the resultant velocity was calculated using the equations for horizontal and vertical components of velocity. The resultant velocity was found to be 11.18 m/s with an angle of 26.56°. This shows that the
moenste

Homework Statement

A stone thrown horizontally from the top of a vertical cliff with velocity 15 m s-1 is observed to strike the (horizontal) ground at a distance of 45 m from the base of the cliff. What is (a) the height of the cliff, (b) the angle the path of the stone makes with the ground at the moment of impact?

Answers: (a) 45 m, (b) 63.4°

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I used s = v*t to find t: 45 m = 15 m s-1 * t -> t = 3 s

Then I used s = 1/2 (u + v)*t -> s = 1/2 (15 m s-1 + 15 m s-1)*3 s = 45 m. I guess velocity when t = 0 (u) should be also 15 m s-1, equal to v = 15 m s-1. But I am not sure about the solution.

For the angle if height and horizontal distance both are 45 meters then tan angle = 45/45 -> angle = 45. But it's not the book answer.

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
moenste said:

Homework Statement

A stone thrown horizontally from the top of a vertical cliff with velocity 15 m s-1 is observed to strike the (horizontal) ground at a distance of 45 m from the base of the cliff. What is (a) the height of the cliff, (b) the angle the path of the stone makes with the ground at the moment of impact?

Homework Equations

-

Then I used s = 1/2 (u + v)*t -> s = 1/2 (15 m s-1 + 15 m s-1)*3 s = 45 m. I guess velocity when t = 0 (u) should be also 15 m s-1, equal to v = 15 m s-1. But I am not sure about the solution.

For the angle if height and horizontal distance both are 45 meters then tan angle = 45/45 -> angle = 45. But it's not the book answer.

Any help please?
You're not thinking too clearly here about what happens to the stone after it is released.

Does the stone keep flying away from the cliff horizontally? If not, why not?

If you have a velocity of say 10 m/s horizontally and a velocity of 5 m/s vertically, is the combined velocity (10 m/s + 5 m/s) = 15 m/s ?

Likes moenste
moenste said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

-

That's correct.

This seems muddled to me. You know the stone is falling for 3 seconds, so you need to find an equation to calculate the vertical distance fallen.

Any help please?

To find the angle, you need to find the velocity (not speed) of the stone when it hits the ground. You are imagining that the stone travels in a straight line at ##45°##, which it doesn't: it travels in a parabolic curve, where the angle is changing all the time.

Likes moenste
SteamKing said:
Does the stone keep flying away from the cliff horizontally? If not, why not?

If you have a velocity of say 10 m/s horizontally and a velocity of 5 m/s vertically, is the combined velocity (10 m/s + 5 m/s) = 15 m/s ?
As PeroK said the stone travels in a parabolic curve. I think it's due to the gravity acting on the stone.

Shouldn't it be 102 + 52 = 125 -> Sq root 125 = 11.18?

PeroK said:
This seems muddled to me. You know the stone is falling for 3 seconds, so you need to find an equation to calculate the vertical distance fallen.

To find the angle, you need to find the velocity (not speed) of the stone when it hits the ground. You are imagining that the stone travels in a straight line at ##45°##, which it doesn't: it travels in a parabolic curve, where the angle is changing all the time.
s = ut + 1/2 * a * t2
s = 0 * 3 s + 1/2 * 10 m s -1 * 32 s
s = 45 m
?

moenste said:
As PeroK said the stone travels in a parabolic curve. I think it's due to the gravity acting on the stone.

Why, yes, gravity may have something to do with the path the stone takes after it is thrown off a cliff. :rolleyes:

Shouldn't it be 102 + 52 = 125 -> Sq root 125 = 11.18?
Yes, this is how one would calculate the resultant velocity given the components of the velocity. Remember, velocity has both magnitude and direction.

s = ut + 1/2 * a * t2
s = 0 * 3 s + 1/2 * 10 m s -1 * 32 s
s = 45 m
?

What does s represent here, in terms of the path the rock takes after it is thrown off the cliff?

Remember, when the rock is thrown, it is traveling horizontally away from the edge of the cliff while it is dropping vertically.

Likes moenste
SteamKing said:
Why, yes, gravity may have something to do with the path the stone takes after it is thrown off a cliff.
Well the stone has a velocity of 15 m s-1 and it reaches the top using it, after that he loses height and goes downwards with the 10 m s-1 gravity.

SteamKing said:
Yes, this is how one would calculate the resultant velocity given the components of the velocity. Remember, velocity has both magnitude and direction.
11.18 and 26.56°.
SteamKing said:
What does s represent here, in terms of the path the rock takes after it is thrown off the cliff?

Remember, when the rock is thrown, it is traveling horizontally away from the edge of the cliff while it is dropping vertically.
s is height of the cliff.

What is the formula for calculating the height of a stone thrown off a cliff?

The formula for calculating the height of a stone thrown off a cliff is h = (v^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of projection affect the height of a stone thrown off a cliff?

The angle of projection affects the height of a stone thrown off a cliff by determining the vertical and horizontal components of the initial velocity. A higher angle of projection will result in a greater vertical component and therefore, a greater height. However, if the angle is too high, the stone may not have enough horizontal velocity to travel a significant distance before falling back to the ground.

What happens to the height of a stone thrown off a cliff if the initial velocity is doubled?

If the initial velocity is doubled, the height of a stone thrown off a cliff will quadruple. This is because the height is directly proportional to the square of the initial velocity in the formula for calculating height.

How does air resistance affect the height of a stone thrown off a cliff?

Air resistance can decrease the height of a stone thrown off a cliff by reducing its initial velocity and slowing it down as it travels through the air. This can be significant for objects with a large surface area, such as a parachute, but may have minimal impact on smaller objects like a stone.

Can the height of a stone thrown off a cliff ever be negative?

Technically, yes, the height of a stone thrown off a cliff can be negative if it falls below the initial height from which it was thrown. However, in most cases, the height will be considered positive as it is measured from the starting point at the top of the cliff.