Calculating impact force during landing of aircraft

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's degree project on designing a seaplane's float component for water landings. They are seeking guidance on calculating the impact force and questioning the accuracy of their concept using projectile motion. They also mention considering the strength of the pontoon and the recommended landing approach speed based on flight manuals for both land and sea planes.
Junichirol
Poster has been reminded that they need to use the Homework Help Template, and show their efforts on their schoolwork
I'm having my degree FYP with the title of 'water landing: conceptual design of float component of seaplane upon touchdown'.
1. ) I need guideline for calculating impact force of the seaplane when it touchdown on the water surface.

2. ) Regarding the landing time and landing distance. I'm using the projectile motion concept to carry out the calculation. I wonder my concept is correct or wrong?

Thank in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think that you would want a pontoon strong enough to flip the plane before breaking off.
So, I would assume that the pontoon hit a wave while the plane was flying horizontally, configured for landing, and at its recommended landing approach speed.

I would get the flight manuals for several planes (both land and sea planes) and look at how the pilots are instructed to handle them during landings. Those flight manuals will also provide information about the center of gravity limits.

What is impact force and why is it important to calculate during aircraft landings?

Impact force is the amount of force that is exerted on an object when it comes into contact with another object. It is important to calculate during aircraft landings because it helps us understand the stress and strain on the aircraft's structure and components, which can affect the safety and performance of the aircraft.

How is impact force calculated during aircraft landings?

The impact force during aircraft landings can be calculated by using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the aircraft, and a is the deceleration or change in velocity of the aircraft during landing. This calculation takes into account the weight and speed of the aircraft at impact.

What factors can affect the impact force during aircraft landings?

Several factors can affect the impact force during aircraft landings, including the weight and speed of the aircraft, the type and condition of the landing surface, and the angle and direction of the landing. Weather conditions, such as wind and turbulence, can also play a role in the impact force.

How does the calculation of impact force during aircraft landings help improve aircraft design and safety?

By accurately calculating the impact force during aircraft landings, engineers and designers can better understand the stress and strain on different components of the aircraft. This information can then be used to improve the design and construction of aircraft, making them safer and more efficient for future landings.

Are there any limitations to calculating impact force during aircraft landings?

While calculating impact force is an important aspect of aircraft design and safety, there are some limitations to consider. These calculations are based on ideal conditions and may not account for unexpected factors, such as equipment malfunctions or pilot error. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may also be affected by the complexity and variability of different landing scenarios.