1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating impact parameter

1. Oct 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to plot the trajectory of a photon near a schwarzschild black hole. I have the equation for the trajectory but i'm stumped by the impact parameter and cannot find out how to calculate it.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dr} = \pm \frac{b}{r^{2}\sqrt{1 - \frac{b^{2}}{r^{2}} (1 - \frac{r_{s}}{r}})} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi nocks! Welcome to PF! :wink:

From the PF Library on photon sphere …​

The usual Schwarzschild coordinates, are related to the "age", [itex]\tau[/itex], of a photon (measured as number of wavelengths, since of course the "proper time" of a photon does not change) by the equations:
    [tex]\frac{dt}{d\tau}\ =\ E/(1\ -\ 2M/r)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d\phi}{d\tau}\ =\ L/r^2[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{dr}{d\tau}\ =\ \pm E\sqrt{1\ -\ (1\ -\ 2M/r)L^2/E^2r^2}[/tex]

Does that help? :smile:

4. Oct 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the link but there's no mention of the impact parameter

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(just got up :zzz: …)

Well, if you mean the "sideways distance at infinity", that'll be limr->∞ r sin(φ - φ),

which is … ? :smile:

6. Oct 29, 2009 #5
    Oh so the impact parameter is the distance parallel to the centre of the black hole at approach from infinty?
    Now to attempt plotting the trajectory. Is the equation I mentioned above enough for this? (i should mention im not a physicist)

7. Oct 29, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're not a physicist? Then whyever are you doing this?

You may find some assistance at http://albert51.tripod.com/non.html" [Broken], including some plots of trajectories for different impact parameters. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Oct 30, 2009 #7
    Just an interest of mine. It's taking a while to get my head around the maths but I guess i'm slowly getting there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook