Calculating instantaneous acceleration

In summary: !oh okay. :)sorry guys it turns out that the reason i didnt understand was because i was doing it wrong. thanks for all your help though!
maxalador

Homework Statement

The position of a particle moving along the x-axis is given in centimeters by x = 9.75 + 1.50t3, where t is in seconds

Calculate the instantaneous acceleration at 2.00 s.

Homework Equations

x = 9.75 + 1.50t3

I don't understand how i would solve for the acceleration using an equation for distance
i understand Vf=Vo+at and that the instantaneous velocity at this time is .217 m/s i had to teach myself how to do this so i am not sure i found the velocity correctly

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way this works in PF is that you are supposed to make an attempt to solve the problem first, and show us what you did so far. Then, if necessary, we can try to get you pointed in the right direction.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The way this works in PF is that you are supposed to make an attempt to solve the problem first, and show us what you did so far. Then, if necessary, we can try to get you pointed in the right direction.

Chet

Thanks for the info

You need to derive it. By t subject, do it twice. One derive tell you velocity, second tell you acceleration.

How did you arrive at v(2.00s) = 0.217 m/s? Are you familiar with what the derivative of position means?

Bandarigoda said:
You need to derive it. By t subject, do it twice. One derive tell you velocity, second tell you acceleration.

how would i derive it the second time

maxalador said:
how would i derive it the second time

You have a function for position with respect to time. Take the first time derivative. Show us what you get and what does this new function represent?

Clever-Name said:
How did you arrive at v(2.00s) = 0.217 m/s? Are you familiar with what the derivative of position means?

Did u ask it from me? I can't understand, sorry my bad english. Am i wrong about the derivation?

Bandarigoda said:
Did u ask it from me? I can't understand, sorry my bad english. Am i wrong about the derivation?

No, sorry, that was directed at maxalador.

Clever-Name said:
No, sorry, that was directed at maxalador.

Oh okay. :)

sorry guys it turns out that the reason i didnt understand was because i was doing it wrong. thanks for all your help though

What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing at a particular instant.

How is instantaneous acceleration calculated?

To calculate instantaneous acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity and the final velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. You can then use the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time elapsed between the two velocities.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous acceleration provides more detailed information about the object's motion at a specific point in time.

Can instantaneous acceleration be negative?

Yes, instantaneous acceleration can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates that an object is slowing down, while a positive acceleration indicates that an object is speeding up.

What factors can affect instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the force acting on an object, the mass of the object, and any external factors such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, changes in velocity can also affect instantaneous acceleration.