1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating luminosity given accretion power

1. Nov 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question regarding calculating luminosity given accretion power. I have accretion power given to me as Δm/Δt= 1.5 solar masses/yr, in order to solve for luminosity are we supposed to convert the accretion power into solar masses/seconds or is it just some kind of variable where it doesn't matter. [I have to find the luminosity in Joules/sec]

2. Relevant equations

Luminosity= η x (Δm/Δt) x c^2

3. The attempt at a solution

My answer would be that I do have to convert because one joule= kg x m^2/ s^2 and if I have to find the Joules/sec I cannot leave the years unconverted.

(sorry if it was a dumb question, I think I answered it myself just working through explaining it to you guys)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2011 #2
    Yes, to get an answer in SI units you have to convert the accretion rate into kg/s through the conversions between solar masses to kilograms, and years to seconds. Then, you can use c in m/s and the efficiency will be a dimensionless number, so you can just multiply through and your answer will be in J/s, as you observed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook