Calculating Magnetic Moment of Hydrogen Atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 10K views
iontail
Messages
22
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



find the magnetic moment of a hydrogen atom given that the election moves at 0.10c around the nucleus and the radius is 0.5*10^-5 m

Homework Equations



n/a

The Attempt at a Solution



this is what i did.

I = nev
=ev (I = current e= charge of electron, v = velocity)

m = IA (A = area)

my result is 12 A m^2.

The result looks too big...am I doing something wrong. can you please verify that my answer is right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
iontail said:
I = nev
=ev (I = current e= charge of electron, v = velocity)
What's n?

Hint: Find the current by figuring out long it takes for the electron to orbit the nucleus.
 
Your approach is correct, you may want to check your units.

e = 1.6*10^-19 coulomb
v = 3*10^7 m/s
r = 0.5*10^-5 m

I = q v
m = I pi r^2

I get:

I = 4.8*10^-12
m = 3.77*10^-22
 
Doc Al said:
You might want to rethink that equation.


hi sorry about that i made a typo.
n=number of free electron

and I = nev/(r*pi*r) (r= radius of atom)

the answer i got before is still correct. I just made a typo while putting the detials in the computer.

I am just suprised that the magnetic moment for an atom is so high. CAn you please verify the answer. or tell me if i have made any other mistake.
 
iontail said:
hi sorry about that i made a typo.
n=number of free electron
OK, so n = 1.

and I = nev/(r*pi*r) (r= radius of atom)
That doesn't look right. (Check the units.)
 
Doc Al said:
OK, so n = 1.


That doesn't look right. (Check the units.)

I = ev/2*pi*r

it should be right now.
 
iontail said:
I = ev/2*pi*r

it should be right now.
Now you've got it.
 
Doc Al said:
You might want to rethink that equation.

Oops, I forgot to normalize by the distance. You are right.

It should be

I = q v / (2 pi r)
 
jpreed said:
Oops, I forgot to normalize by the distance. You are right.

It should be


I = q v / (2 pi r)


thabk you all for you help...