Calculating Maximum River Crossing Distance with Initial Velocity of 30 m/s

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
stressedgirl
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If you can hurl a ball so that its initial speed is 30 m/s, what is the widest river it can cross?

v1 = 30m/s

Homework Equations


I am not sure with only the one variable given.

The Attempt at a Solution


Start with a x and y component diagram?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes split the inital velocity into vertical and horizontal components.

Now consider vertical motion, when the ball lands on the ground again, the displacement is zero. Use y=vyt_0.5gt2 to get the time for this motion.

Now horizontally the Range (how wide your river is) is given by R=vxt

that 't' in the equation for 'R' is the time for the motion above.
 
Umm.. I don't understand. How would the 't' answer the question? Wouldn't I need a 'd' since it's asking how wide the river could be?

edit: SOrry I don't really understand what I'm even supposed to draw in the diagrams of the components
 
stressedgirl said:
Umm.. I don't understand. How would the 't' answer the question? Wouldn't I need a 'd' since it's asking how wide the river could be?

edit: SOrry I don't really understand what I'm even supposed to draw in the diagrams of the components

Solving for the 't' would get the 'd'.

Draw the 30m/s at an angle θ and split it into vertical and horizontal components.
 
Can I get something step by step please? I drew the components but I don't get why I even have to have both an x and the y. I just have two sets of axes and a theta angle at 90degrees
 
stressedgirl said:
Can I get something step by step please? I drew the components but I don't get why I even have to have both an x and the y. I just have two sets of axes and a theta angle at 90degrees

You will see why you need it soon.

Did you get your components as

y: 30sinθ

x: 30 cosθ

These are your initial velocity components

Now consider vertical motion: y=vyt-0.5gt2

When the ball hits the other side of the river, y = 0. So solve for 't' and tell me what you get.