Calculating Mechanical Energy Change of 1100kg Car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
uno
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
1. A 1100 kg car at rest at the top of a hill accelerates down the road, reaching a speed of 20 m/s after descending a height of 120 m. What was its total change in mechanical energy (KE plus PEG) as of that moment in Megajoules?



2.KE = 1/2 mv^2 and PEg = mgh



3. I used the above formulas to figure out KE = 2.20E5 and PEg = 1.3E6. When I add both together, I get 1.51E6 and convert it to MJ = 1.51MJ. When I put in the answer, this is incorrect. Am I missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
uno said:
1. A 1100 kg car at rest at the top of a hill accelerates down the road, reaching a speed of 20 m/s after descending a height of 120 m. What was its total change in mechanical energy (KE plus PEG) as of that moment in Megajoules?

2.KE = 1/2 mv^2 and PEg = mgh

3. I used the above formulas to figure out KE = 2.20E5 and PEg = 1.3E6. When I add both together, I get 1.51E6 and convert it to MJ = 1.51MJ. When I put in the answer, this is incorrect. Am I missing something?

The KE at the bottom of the hill already includes the m*g*h from the descent. You probably want to just use the KE as the answer.
 
It starts high and ends low, so it LOSES potential energy. It starts at rest and finishes in motion, so it gains kinetic energy. (I think)
 
kraus is right: so how much mechanical energy does the car lose?