1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating minimum energy to remove satellite from orbit

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite of mass 4500 kg orbits the Earth in a circular orbit of radius of 7.6 x 10^6 m (this is above the Earth's atmosphere).The mass of the Earth is 6.0 x 10^24 kg.
    What is the speed of the satellite?

What is the minimum amount of energy required to move the satellite from this orbit to a location very far away from the Earth?

2. Relevant equations
    F = mSatellite*a = G*mEarth*mSatellite/r²
    a = G*mEarth/r² = v²/r -> v=SQRT(G*mEarth/r)
    r = 7.6 x 10^6 km
    mEarth = 6 × 10^24 kg

v = 7272.88 m/s

minimum amount of energy = increase of potential energy = 0 - (-GMm/r) = GMm/r = 6.67*10^(-11)*6.0*10^24*4500/7.6*10^6 = 2.38e11 J

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I obtained the correct velocity, but when I try to solve for the energy required I get the wrong answer. Is the above equation for calculating the minimum amount of energy incorrect? What should I be doing?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Escaping the Earth (to very far away) means having kinetic energy equal to GMm/r.
    You have some KE already, so you need GMM/r - the present KE.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    Ahhhh I see, so I would need to do something such as

2.38e11 J - (4500 kg)(7272.88 m/s)^2 =-209,935 J

But I cannot have a negative number for this, as energy must be put in to remove the satellite from the Earths orbit.
    If I am correct, what I did above was total energy - energy of satellite... Shouldn't this be correct, since the energy needed to remove the satellite plus the energy of the satellite must equal total energy.
    I feel that I am making an elementary mistake, so could someone please help clarify this for me?

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4
    You forgot to divide (4500 kg)(7272.88 m/s)^2 by 2!

It looks like we're working on the same homework questions:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook