A satellite in orbit in a system with one planet and two moons

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces on a satellite orbiting around a planet with two moons, as well as the initial and final situations of the satellite's orbit. The conversation also mentions the energy that needs to be added for the satellite to reach its final position.
lorenz0
Homework Statement
Two moons (L), each of mass ##m##, rotate on the same circular orbit of radius ##10R## , around an exoplanet (P) of mass ##M## and radius ##R##.
The moons, shown in the figure, rotate counterclockwise and the planet's equator is on the plane of the orbit of the moons.
1. Determine the magnitude of the velocity ##v_L## of each moon.
A satellite (S), of mass ##m_s##, is launched from the equatorial point (A) of the planet,
at the instant shown in the figure, and positioned in the same circular orbit as the
moons, and rotates keeping equidistant from them. Find:
2. the energy that must be supplied to the satellite to place it in orbit;
3. the constant torque, with respect to the center of the orbit, which the satellite's motors must apply to allow the satellite to meet the moon that precedes it in the time it takes to do one revolution around the planet (remaining, by hypothesis, in the same circular orbit).
Relevant Equations
##F_g=G\frac{m_1m_2}{R^2}##, ##F_{centr}=m\frac{v^2}{R}##
1) Considering the forces on one of the moons, I have: ##\frac{GMm}{(10R)^2}+\frac{Gm^2}{(20R)^2}=m\frac{v^2}{10R}\Leftrightarrow v=\sqrt{\frac{G}{10R}(M+\frac{m}{4})}.##

2) Considering the initial situation in which the satellite is at rest on the surface of the planet, ##E_i=-\frac{GMm_s}{R}-\frac{Gmm_s}{9R}-\frac{Gmm_s}{11R}=-\frac{20Gmm_s}{99R}## and a final situation in which the satellite is orbiting around the planet at a distance ##10R## equidistant from the moons, ##E_f=\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2-\frac{GMm_s}{10R}-2\frac{Gmm_S}{10\sqrt{2}R}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2-\frac{Gm_s}{10R}(M+\sqrt{2}m)## I have that the energy that has to be added is ##\Delta E=E_f-E_i=\frac{1}{2}m_sv^2-\frac{Gm_s(M+\sqrt{2}m)}{10R}+\frac{20Gmm_s}{99R}.## Now, considering the forces on the satellite in its final position I also have that ##\frac{Gm_s}{(10R)^2}(\frac{m}{\sqrt{2}}+M)=m_s\frac{v^2}{10R}\Leftrightarrow v=\sqrt{\frac{G}{10R}(\frac{m}{\sqrt{2}}+M)}## so ##\Delta E=E_f-E_i=\frac{1}{2}m_s(\frac{G}{10R}(\frac{m}{\sqrt{2}}+M))-\frac{Gm_s(M+\sqrt{2}m)}{10R}+\frac{20Gmm_s}{99R}.##

I still don't know how to do part (3) of the problem but I would like to know if I interpreted the problem in a correct way, i.e. the way I solved the first two parts of the problem makes sense. Thanks.

Attachments

• orbits.png
    orbits.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 70
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good to me so far.

1. What is the purpose of a satellite in orbit in a system with one planet and two moons?

A satellite in orbit in a system with one planet and two moons can serve a variety of purposes, such as communication, navigation, weather monitoring, and scientific research.

2. How does a satellite stay in orbit in a system with one planet and two moons?

A satellite stays in orbit in a system with one planet and two moons due to the balance between its speed and the gravitational pull of the planet and moons. It must maintain a specific speed and trajectory to avoid crashing into the planet or being pulled away by the moons.

3. Can a satellite orbit around both the planet and the moons in this system?

Yes, a satellite can orbit around both the planet and the moons in this system. However, it must maintain a specific trajectory and speed to avoid collisions or being pulled away by the gravitational forces of the planet and moons.

4. What factors affect the orbit of a satellite in this system?

The orbit of a satellite in this system can be affected by the gravitational pull of the planet and moons, as well as any external forces such as solar winds or other celestial bodies. The mass and distance of the planet and moons also play a role in the satellite's orbit.

5. How does a satellite communicate with Earth while in orbit in this system?

A satellite in orbit in this system can communicate with Earth through various methods, such as radio waves or laser beams. It can also use ground stations on the planet or one of the moons to relay information back to Earth.