Calculating mols carboxylic acid needed to nuetralize NaOH solution

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the problem involves a 10mL mixture of 2M HCl and carboxylic acid, which required 43.61 mL of 0.762 M NaOH to neutralize it. The task is to calculate the number of moles of carboxylic acid present. After some calculations, it is determined that there is 0.0132 moles of carboxylic acid present. The Ka value of 1.75x10^-5 is not needed for this problem, as it is a simple neutralization stoichiometry calculation.
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 10mL mixture of 2M HCl and carboxylic acid required 43.61 mL of .762 M NaOH to nuetralize it. Calculate the number of mols of carboxylic acid present.

The Attempt at a Solution

First figured out the number of mols of Naoh and subtracted the number of mols of HCl:
.0332molNaOH-.0200molHCl = .0132 mol NaOH that still need nuetralized
Divided that by total volume so .246M H3O is needed to finish the job.

With a Ka of 1.75X10^(-5) I get 3458M of acetic acid
So I think I may be a little off :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you use Ka for? This is about simple neutralization stoichiometry, no equilibrium calculations needed.

Hey Borek, okay so the approach is wrong then lol.
I thought the Ka would affect the H3O delivered by the acetic acid?

So what do I do?

Okay, so the carboxylic acid will neutralize the NaOH in a 1:1 ratio?
If that is the case then it is just .0132 mols, is that right?

I have not checked the numbers, but it sounds right and fits what you wrote earlier.

Good deal, thanks Borek

1. How do you calculate the number of mols of carboxylic acid needed to neutralize a NaOH solution?

To calculate the number of mols of carboxylic acid needed, you will need to use the equation: mols of acid = molarity of NaOH * volume of NaOH * number of H+ ions per molecule of acid. This will give you the number of mols of acid that are required to completely neutralize the NaOH solution.

2. What is the molarity of the NaOH solution?

The molarity of the NaOH solution can be found by dividing the number of mols of NaOH by the volume of the solution in liters. This will give you the concentration of the solution in mols per liter (M).

3. How do you determine the number of H+ ions per molecule of carboxylic acid?

The number of H+ ions per molecule of carboxylic acid can be found by looking at the chemical formula of the acid. For example, if the acid is HCl (hydrochloric acid), there is only one H+ ion per molecule. If the acid is H2SO4 (sulfuric acid), there are two H+ ions per molecule.

4. Can you use any carboxylic acid to neutralize a NaOH solution?

Yes, any carboxylic acid can be used to neutralize a NaOH solution as long as it has at least one carboxyl group (COOH). Examples of carboxylic acids include acetic acid (vinegar), citric acid (lemons), and lactic acid (yogurt).

5. How does the neutralization process work?

The neutralization process occurs when an acid and a base react with each other, resulting in the formation of a salt and water. In this case, the H+ ions from the carboxylic acid will react with the OH- ions from the NaOH solution to form water, while the remaining ions will combine to form a salt.