Calculating moments about a support point

In summary: What is the moment of weight at the midway point?In summary, the moment of weight at the midway point is 125N and the sliding weight is located at (0.5,0.5).
Shaye
Homework Statement
I am required to calculate the upward contact forces that two men are exerting carrying a ladder horizontally at fixed points (question 7). I think I should calculating moments about each fixed point (where the men are carrying the ladder)
Relevant Equations
Moment of Force = Force * Perpendicular distance
Moment about X2 to calculate force at X1:

x1 * 9 = (250 * 2)
Therefore, x1 = 500/9 = 55.5N

The book however gives force at x1 as 110N. So I figured I have not understood a concept somewhere

20201206_121544.jpg
20201206_121552a.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your mistake seems simple to me and it makes me wonder. Why do you take the torque (moment) of weight of the ladder as ##250N\cdot 2m##? This is wrong. What's the distance of the point of application of weight (Center of mass, CoM) from the point X2? Therefore what is the correct torque of weight?

Likes Shaye
Thanks Delta2. Sorry I got confused. I didn't think about the CoM/CoG where all the weight is acting. But now it's fine :-) The sum of the moments about the CoM should total 250N

Shaye said:
Thanks Delta2. Sorry I got confused. I didn't think about the CoM/CoG where all the weight is acting. But now it's fine :-) The sum of the moments about the CoM should total 250N
Er the sum of moments about the CoM/CoG should total zero. Since we have equilibrium, the sum of moments about any point is zero.

Please answer my questions in post #2.

Delta2 said:
Er the sum of moments about the CoM/CoG should total zero. Since we have equilibrium, the sum of moments about any point is zero.

Please answer my questions in post #2.

The books solution says to take moments about x2 to find the force of x1 as 110N to 2 significant figures. Then by equilibrium: X1 + X2 = 250N therefore x2 = 250N - 110N = 140N.

I understood this to be (4/9)*250 = 110 2 s.f.

Similar to the reasoning of a couple i.e. (Couple = F*d) for example the forces acting on each end (in opposite directions) of a 1 meter ruler being 12N will produce a couple equal to 12N e.g.

Couple
12N*1 = 12Nm

Moments should always sum to the couple
(12*0.5)+(12*0.5) = 12 Nm
(12*0.4)+(12*0.6) = 12 Nm etc...

In answer to your question in post #2. That was a complete mistake. I was calculating the moment incorrectly assuming the ladder was on a pivot and in equilibrium and trying to find a balancing figure for the other force.

Shaye said:
I understood this to be (4/9)*250 = 110 2 s.f.
That is correct. So the moment of weight about x2 is equal to 4x250.
Shaye said:
Similar to the reasoning of a couple
I don't understand what you find similar to the moment of a couple, the forces we have here are not a couple.

Likes Lnewqban
Delta2 said:
That is correct. So the moment of weight about x2 is equal to 4x250.

I don't understand what you find similar to the moment of a couple, the forces we have here are not a couple.
I mean what I found similar was the fact that you could take moments about any point on the ruler example e.g. at [0.2,0.8], [0.4.0.6] etc. and when you add the moments up they should always equal the couple...

Shaye said:
I mean what I found similar was the fact that you could take moments about any point on the ruler example e.g. at [0.2,0.8], [0.4.0.6] etc. and when you add the moments up they should always equal the couple...
There is a dfference between the concepts of couple of forces and balance of moments.

Please, see:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couple_(mechanics)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque#Static_equilibrium

You could visualize the situation shown by the problem like two men, holding a 9-meter long bar horizontally (there is balance of vertical forces), inducing no rotation onto it (there is balance of moments).

A concentrated weight of 250 Newtons is free to slide along the bar.
If the sliding weight is located exactly midway, each man is holding 125 N.
If the weight slides all the way to one end, one man is holding 250 N and the second man 0 N.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the purpose of calculating moments about a support point?

The purpose of calculating moments about a support point is to determine the amount of force or torque exerted on a specific point or object. This is important in engineering and physics to ensure the stability and safety of structures and machines.

2. How do you calculate moments about a support point?

To calculate moments about a support point, you first need to identify the point or axis of rotation. Then, you can use the formula M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force acting on the object, and d is the distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

3. What are the units of measurement for moments?

The units of measurement for moments are typically expressed in Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system or foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system. These units represent the amount of force required to cause a rotation of one unit of distance at the point of rotation.

4. How do you determine the direction of a moment?

The direction of a moment is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the force, the direction of the moment will be perpendicular to your thumb, in the direction of your curled fingers.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating moments about a support point?

Calculating moments about a support point is used in many real-world applications, such as designing bridges, buildings, and other structures. It is also important in the design and operation of machines, such as cranes, levers, and gears. Additionally, moments are used in physics to analyze the motion and stability of objects in rotational motion.