1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating moments of intertia

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. Find the moment of inertia I_x of particle a with respect to the x axis (that is, if the x axis is the axis of rotation), the moment of inertia I_y of particle a with respect to the y axis, and the moment of inertia I_z of particle a with respect to the z axis (the axis that passes through the origin perpendicular to both the x and y axes).

Particle a is located at x=3r, y=r, z=o

2. I = Integral(x^2 + y^2)

3. I_x = 1/3 * mr^3
    I_y = 3mr^3
    I_z = 10/3 * mr^3

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Surely the formula is I = m*r^2 ?
    so I_x = mr^2.
    No integration needed when you have a point charge. The particle is a distance r from the x-axis. Your r^3 answers don't even have the right units.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    Ah, ok thanks. Now I am supposed to consider a second particle, b, located at x=r and y=-4r, and calculate the total moment of inertia for the two particles of this system, with the y axis as the axis of rotation.

Why 10mr^2 not the answer? I obtain this my summing I_ya + I_yb = 9mr^2 + mr^2

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4
    This is is driving me crazy :cry:

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

10mr^2 looks good to me, assuming the two particles have the same mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook