Calculating Momentum Change of a Snooker Ball Collision

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crosshash
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Crosshash
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A snooker ball of mass 0.350kg hits the side of a snooker table at right angles, and bounces off also at right angles. If its speed before collision is 2.8ms^-1 and its speed after is 2.5ms^-1, calculate the change in its momentum.
(The answer to the question is not 0.105kg ms^-1)

Homework Equations


p = mv (well, that's what I've tried answering it with)

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm assuming my method is flawed, but I thought it might be worth using pythagoras to work out the actual (?) velocity.
I got 3.75 but if you do 3.75*0.35 i reach 1.3 which according to the answers in the back of the book are incorrect.

Could someone enlighten me please? I'm really stumped.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Crosshash said:
I thought it might be worth using pythagoras to work out the actual (?) velocity.
I got 3.75 but if you do 3.75*0.35 i reach 1.3 which according to the answers in the back of the book are incorrect.

Hi Crosshash! :smile:

You're misreading the question … the ball goes forward and back along the same line! :smile:
 
tiny-tim said:
Hi Crosshash! :smile:

You're misreading the question … the ball goes forward and back along the same line! :smile:

argh! you're kidding me? I've been stuck on this question for almost 30 minutes and it's that simple!?

I thought it deflects off the side at a right angle :P

I get the right answer now, thankyou!
 
Now if you could just figure out what a snooker is :smile: