Calculating Post-Collision Momentum and Speed of Two Balls

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the speed and mass of two balls after a perfectly elastic collision. The formula for elastic collisions is mentioned and the person plans to use the momentum equations to solve for the speed and mass. However, there is confusion about the sign of the momentum and the equation is corrected to account for final speeds. The conversation ends with the question of whether the person is still trying to figure out the problem.
ShaddollDa9u

Homework Statement

1498766580-screenshot-from-2017-06-29-21-01-01.png

Homework Equations

I have thought about using the momentum formulas here.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the momentum is a conservative quantity, I have thought that p (before collision) = p(after collision).
Since p (before collision) = 12, I wanted to use that result to find p (after collision) and then find the speed of the ball B.
So p(after collision) = ma x v + mb x v = 12
So 12 = v ( 2 + mb)
However I have two unknown variables here, so I can't find the speed and obviously, the mass of the ball B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you take the positive direction to be toward the right. Do both balls have the same sign of momentum after the collision? Did you take this into account?

Try to use all the information in the problem. What does "perfectly elastic collision" mean to you?

Do you know what it means for the collision to be perfectly elastic?

Wikipedia says "An elastic collision is an encounter between two bodies in which the total kinetic energy of the two bodies after the encounter is equal to their total kinetic energy before the encounter."

So according to that, we will also have :
(1/2)ma*va² + (1/2) mb*vb² = (1/2)ma*va'² + (1/2) mb*vb'² (where va' and vb' are the speed after the collision)
So we have 36 = v² * (1 + m/2 )

Then I planned to use the first equation found (12 = v ( 2 + mb)) and solve the system to find the speed and the mass, is that correct ??

ShaddollDa9u said:
Wikipedia says "An elastic collision is an encounter between two bodies in which the total kinetic energy of the two bodies after the encounter is equal to their total kinetic energy before the encounter."

So according to that, we will also have :
(1/2)ma*va² + (1/2) mb*vb² = (1/2)ma*va'² + (1/2) mb*vb'² (where va' and vb' are the speed after the collision)
So we have 36 = v² * (1 + m/2 )
Good.

Then I planned to use the first equation found (12 = v ( 2 + mb)) and solve the system to find the speed and the mass, is that correct ??
This equation is written incorrectly. Please see the first part of post #2.

I couldn't get it, does the sign of the momentum of A is inversed after the collision ?

So ma * va + mb * vb = - (ma * va') + mb * vb' ??

ShaddollDa9u said:
I couldn't get it, does the sign of the momentum of A is inversed after the collision ?

So ma * va + mb * vb = - (ma * va') + mb * vb' ??
This is correct if va' and vb' represent the final speeds of the particles.

If you are uncertain about this, we can discuss it in more detail.

m1v1/(m2-m1)=V
This mass thing is getting to my head. Are you still trying to figure it out?

1. What factors affect the collision between two balls?

The factors that affect the collision between two balls include the mass, velocity, and direction of the balls, as well as the elasticity and surface properties of the balls and the surface they are colliding on.

2. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome?

The angle of collision can greatly affect the outcome of the collision. If the balls collide head on, they will transfer all of their momentum to each other and bounce off in opposite directions. However, if the collision is at an angle, the balls will transfer some of their momentum to each other and also change direction.

3. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the balls will bounce off each other with the same velocity as before the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and the balls will stick together or transfer their momentum to the surface they collide on.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of the balls after the collision?

The velocity of the balls after the collision can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy. By knowing the mass, velocity, and angle of collision, equations can be used to determine the final velocity of each ball.

5. Can the collision between two balls be perfectly elastic?

Yes, the collision between two balls can be perfectly elastic if there is no loss of kinetic energy during the collision. This would require the balls to have perfectly smooth and elastic surfaces and collide at a specific angle and velocity. However, in real-life situations, there is always some loss of energy due to friction and deformation of the surfaces, making it difficult to achieve a perfectly elastic collision.