Calculating Normal force when object it in circular motion.

In summary, the problem involves a small block with mass 0.100kg sliding along a frictionless loop-the-loop with a radius of 0.15m. The block has an initial velocity of 2.0 m/s at point P, which is at a height of 2.0R above the bottom loop. The task is to determine the normal force that the track exerts on the block when it reaches point Q. The equations F=ma and PE=KE are used to solve the problem. The block must have inertia to stay in the loop, and the track must exert a force to keep it in the circle. However, finding the final velocity does not help in determining the normal force. The solution to this
Kingrick
\ P ____T_______
\ / \
\ / \
\ / \
\ / \
\ | R |
\ | | |- Q
\ | | |
\ \ | /
\ \ | /
\ \ | /
_____\______|______/

try and picture this more circle like.

Homework Statement

A small block with mass m=0.100kg can slide along the frictionless loop-the-loop, with loop radius R=0.15m, an initial velocity along the track of vi= 2.0 m/s at point P, at height h=2.0R above the bottom loop.

ok now, so first part to the question is,

determine the normal force that the track exerts on the block when it is at the point Q. Include a FBD in your answer and cleraly identify the laws of physics that are used to solve the problem.

Homework Equations

f=ma
PE=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

ok, for my attempt at solving this I'll tell you what i was thinking. I look at this and think it must be inertia holding the block in, and i started thinking there must be something to do with energy in the question, but when i started with energy I realized that finding Vf would not help me know what the normal force at point Q is.

So after examining the question further I realized I'm not sure how to solve it, because if F=ma, and the block is decelerating (which a=9.8 i believe) then Vf gets me no where. But i know that the wall must exert a force on the block to keep it in the circle.

any help would be appreciated on how to solve normal forces in situations like this.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
\ P ____T_______
\ / \
\ / \
\ / \
\ / \
\ | R |
\ | | |- Q
\ | | |
\ \ | /
\ \ | /
\ \ | /
_____\______|______/

try and picture this more circle like.

ok my image does not work sorry

draw an image using paint and attach it to one of your posts

I'm guessing something like this. Can you clean this up Kingrick?
Code:
\ P                ____T_______ 
 \               /             \
  \             /               \
   \           /                 \
    \         /                   \
     \        |         R          |
      \       |         |          |- Q
       \      |         |          |
        \     \         |         /
         \     \        |        /
          \     \       |       /
            _____\______|______/
Cut and paste this into notepad or similar editor, fix it up, and then cut and paste it back into a reply. Don't forget to use the code tags as I have done.

Last edited:

1. What is normal force in circular motion?

The normal force in circular motion is the force that acts perpendicularly to the surface of an object in circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of the circular path and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is normal force calculated in circular motion?

The normal force in circular motion can be calculated using the formula FN = m * v2 / r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What happens to the normal force when the velocity of the object in circular motion changes?

As the velocity of an object in circular motion changes, the normal force will also change. When the velocity increases, the normal force will also increase, and when the velocity decreases, the normal force will decrease.

4. Can the normal force be greater than the weight of an object in circular motion?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the weight of an object in circular motion. This is because the normal force is dependent on the velocity and radius of the circular path, while the weight is dependent on the mass and gravitational acceleration.

5. How does the radius of the circular path affect the normal force in circular motion?

The radius of the circular path directly affects the normal force in circular motion. As the radius increases, the normal force decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger radius results in a larger circular path, requiring less force to maintain the circular motion.