Calculating Percent Yield: K2PtCl4 + 2 NH3 -> Pt(NH3)2Cl2 + 2 KCl

  • Thread starter Thread starter Attraction
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Percent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Attraction
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given the following equation:

K2PtCl4 + 2 NH3 -----> Pt(NH3)2Cl2 + 2 KCl

c) Starting with 34.5 g of NH3, and you isolate 76.4 g of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, what is the percent yield?

The Attempt at a Solution



I had to balance the eqn, which was pretty easy. Then I determined what the limiting reagent is, given 34.5g NH3 (which was asked) and I deduced that NH3 was the LR and calculated the theoretical yeild of KCl to be 151g. Part C of the question is what I am having some difficulty with. Percentage yeild.

I'm thinking that the plan for this problem is to calculate the moles of each and then just turn those numbers into percentages. But I don't think that's right. I kind of don't really know where to start otherwise. I could calculate the moles of each and then take a percentage by dividing moles of NH3 by the moles of Pt(NH3)2Cl2 and multiplying that by 100 to make a percentage figure. Need help on this one guys.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the LR then you can figure out the theoretical yield of both products, correct?

Percent yield is just (actual yield / theoretical yield)
 
Feldoh said:
If you know the LR then you can figure out the theoretical yield of both products, correct?

Yes.

Feldoh said:
Percent yield is just (actual yield / theoretical yield)

So let's say I have the theoretical yeild of KCl and Pt(NH3)2Cl2, which is easy to calculate. What is the "actual yield"? When I do the calculation of (actual yield / theoretical yield) what figures am I putting in?
 
Wasn't the actual Pt(NH3)2Cl2 yield given as 76.4 g? So you just need to calculate the theoretical yield of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, given 34.5 g of NH3.
 
Redbelly98 said:
Wasn't the actual Pt(NH3)2Cl2 yield given as 76.4 g? So you just need to calculate the theoretical yield of Pt(NH3)2Cl2, given 34.5 g of NH3.

Thanks.