Percent yield crazy--help with calculations?

I'll try and find it somewhere and then I'll report it. Thanks for your help!In summary, the problem involves finding the limiting reagent and calculating the percent yield of a precipitation reaction. After calculations, it is determined that Reactant A is the limiting reagent and the theoretical yield of Product B is 0.006 g. However, the given percentage yield of 948.3% seems to be incorrect due to a possible error in the problem statement.
alphaj

Homework Statement

Consider:

2 mol Reactant A (aq) + 3 mol Reactant B (aq) = 6 mol Product A (aq) + 1 mol Product B (s)

You have 0.00075 L of a 0.0514M solution of Reactant A. In the lab, you combine it with 0.042 L of 0.0753M of Reactant B. You get a solid product and an aqueous product (a precipitation reaction!). Please, find the limiting reagent. Then consider this: if you recover 0.0569 g of Product B, then what is your percent yield? Pretend Product B's weight is 310.18g/mol.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Finding the Limiting Reagent:

Considering Reactant A
[(7.5*10^-4 L Reactant A/x moles Reactant A] = [(1 L Reactant A)/0.054 moles Reactant A]= 3.855*10^-5 moles reactant A used

[3.855*10^-5 moles reactant A/x moles Product B]=[2 moles Reactant A/1 mole Product B]= 1.9275*10^-5 moles product B made

Considering Reactant B
[0.042L Reactant B/x moles Reactant B]=[1 L Reactant B/0.0753 moles Reactant B]= 0.0032 moles Reactant B used

[0.0032 moles Reactant B/ x moles Product B]=[3 moles Reactant B/1 mole Product B]= 0.0011 moles Product B made

:.Limiting Reagent is Reactant A.

Yields:
Theoretical yield:
1.9275*10^-5 moles product B *(310.18g/mol)= 0.006 g Product B

Percent Yield: (0.0569g/0.006g)*100 = 948.3%

Well. That doesn't seem right, but I can't find where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
alphaj said:
[(7.5*10^-4 L Reactant A/x moles Reactant A] = [(1 L Reactant A)/0.054 moles Reactant A]= 3.855*10^-5 moles reactant A used

[3.855*10^-5 moles reactant A/x moles Product B]=[2 moles Reactant A/1 mole Product B]= 1.9275*10^-5 moles product B made
That is a very strange notation.

I get the same result as you, I guess the problem statement has a factor 10 wrong somewhere.

You shouldn't round the theoretical yield to one digit, by the way, it introduces a large rounding error.

Likes alphaj
Yep, must be an error in the problem statement.

Likes alphaj

1. What is percent yield and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Percent yield is a measure of the efficiency of a chemical reaction or process. It represents the percentage of the theoretical yield, or the amount of product that should be produced based on stoichiometric calculations, that is actually obtained in a real-world experiment. This value is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the success of their experiments and identify potential sources of error.

2. How do you calculate percent yield?

To calculate percent yield, divide the actual yield (the amount of product obtained in the experiment) by the theoretical yield (the amount of product that should have been obtained based on stoichiometry) and multiply by 100. The formula is: percent yield = (actual yield / theoretical yield) x 100.

3. What factors can affect the percent yield of a reaction?

Several factors can impact the percent yield of a reaction, including impurities in the reactants, incomplete reaction, side reactions, and loss of product during the isolation process. Inaccurate measurements, errors in experimental technique, and equipment malfunctions can also contribute to a lower percent yield.

4. How can I improve the percent yield of my reactions?

To improve the percent yield of a reaction, it is important to carefully measure and mix reactants, use pure and high-quality chemicals, and optimize reaction conditions (such as temperature, pressure, and reaction time). Proper equipment maintenance and accurate data recording can also help to increase the efficiency of a reaction.

5. What should I do if my percent yield is lower than expected?

If your percent yield is lower than expected, it is important to carefully analyze your experimental procedure and identify potential sources of error. You may need to troubleshoot your equipment, adjust reaction conditions, or improve your technique to achieve a higher yield. It is also helpful to consult with other scientists or researchers for advice and guidance.