Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating photodiode current and voltage

1. Jul 24, 2010 #1
    Hi I'm pretty new to the forums. I've been searching and can't find anything on this. Can anyone show me how to calculate the current/voltage produced by a photodiode?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2010 #2
    Here are the specs for a typical Hamamatsu Si PIN photodiode.

http://jp.hamamatsu.com/resources/products/ssd/pdf/s3590-08_etc_kpin1052e07.pdf

Look up the spectral response for the wavelength you are interested in (see dotted line for 100% quantum efficiency* in plot). PIN photodiodes are essentially current sources, because the current output is nearly independent of the applied voltage. The depletion depth is much larger than the photon absorption length.

* 100% quantum efficiency is 1 photoelectron per incident photon

Bob S

4. Jul 31, 2010 #3
    People tend to use the diodes in one of the following three ways:

1. Reverse biased and treated as a current source
    2. Shunted into a low value impedance (typically 50 ohms)
    3. Operated in the "photo-voltaic" mode

This first method is by and far preferred in that it gives you a current that's proportional to the number of photons. With the proper amplifier, this method is typically fairly sensitive and has a fair bandwidth.

The second method is often used for wide bandwidth applications. Most applications involving a 50 ohm load are based on photo diodes going into test equipment and the sensitivity is poor. However, the linearity is still pretty good - voltage is proportional to photons for a reasonable excitation.

The third method involves leaving the photo diode "unloaded." The following instrument or amplifier has a high input impedance and with even a little light, the diode reaches a saturation point where the output voltage is limited. Typically, you can get up to about .6v and it takes progressively more light to make a moderate increase output voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook