1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Poisson Process probabilities

1. Apr 8, 2006 #1
    I just want to check my answers/reasoning as I'm not sure if I assumed the right things to do these problems.

N = {N(t), t>=0} ~ Poisson(1) and [tex]N_{(t,t+h]} = N(t+h)-N(t)[/tex]

Determine P(N(4) =3|N(2) = 1)
    Here I presumed that since N(2) = 1, then there must be 2 more arrivals in the interval (2,4] so that N(4)=3 so I calculated
    [tex]P(N_{(0,2]} = 1 and N_{(2,4]} = 2) = P(N(2) = 1)P(N(2) = 2) = 4e^{-4}[/tex]
    since non-overlapping intervals are independent so I can multiply the probabilities (?). However I'm not too sure if I can break the intervals up like that?

Determine [tex]P(N_{(4,7]} = 2 and N_{(3,6]} = 1)[/tex]
    Here I split up the intervals into (3,4], (4,6] and (6,7] although like I said before, I'm not sure if that should be done. Then I looked for the different combinations of events over those intervals so that the above would be true ie
    [tex]P(N_{(3,4]} = 0 and N_{(4,6]} = 1 and N_{(6,7]} = 1) + P(N_{(3,4]} = 1 and N_{(4,6]} = 0 and N_{(6,7]} = 2) = \frac{5e^{-4}}{2}[/tex]
    Again I assumed non-overlapping intervals were independent so I could multiply the probabilities together. It would be great if someone could double-check for me that those two are the only combinations (I did it three times already but I'm paranoid).

Determine [tex]P(N_{(4,7]} = 2|N_{(1,5]} = 2)[/tex]
    I used the same sort of steps as I did before although it's a conditional but I thought that if I split up the intervals and made it independent, conditionals would not matter. I used intervals (1,4], (4,5] and (5,6] and found the combinations
    [tex]P(N_{(1,4]} = 2 and N_{(4,5]} = 0 and N_{(5,7]} = 2) + P(N_{(1,4]} = 1 and N_{(4,5]} = 1 and N_{(5,7]} = 1) + P(N_{(1,4]} = 0 and N_{(4,5]} = 2 and N_{(5,7]} = 0) = \frac{31e^{-6}}{2}[/tex]
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?