1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Posterior distrib of gamma funct

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    can u plz help me out in calculating the posterior distib of the gamma function of form :

p(lambda/alpha,beta) = (beta^alpha)*lambda^(alpha-1)*(e^(-beta*lamda)))/gamma(a)

lambda>0 mean=alpha/beta mode = (alpha-1)/beta ;alpha>0

the integration seems really tuff which makes me feel tht im going in the wrong direction.. can u guys help me out with this plz...
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2
    I have no idea what you mean by the distribution of the Gamma function. The Gamma function has a Dirac distribution (same as saying it is deterministic). If you mean the Gamma distribution (you equation kinda looks like it), you may want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_distribution
    I would kindly ask that you use LaTex when writing equations or using simple constant/variables like a,b,c,d,e... I can't decipher the equation.
  4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?