Calculating proper time falling toward a black hole

In summary, the conversation is about a homework question regarding the time it takes for an observer to travel from a radius of 6GM to 4GM in the spacetime of a black hole. The Schwarzschild metric and geodesic equations are used to find the Christoffel symbols for t and r. The approach mentioned involves finding dt/dτ and then using it to find dr/dτ in order to integrate and find the proper time. The person requesting help has tried different methods but is struggling to get the correct integral. They also mention a preference for keeping the G's and c's in the equations to better understand their origins.
joshyp93
Hello everyone,

I have a homework question for general relativity that is driving me nuts. It goes like this:

An observer falls from rest at radius 10GM in the spacetime of a black-hole of mass M (in natural units). What time does it take for them to travel from a radius of 6GM to 4GM, according to them? You may assume the Geodesic equations, rather than derive them. (Hint: introduce X = r/(10GM) and y = sqrt(X/(1-X)) to perform the integration. Also note that ∫1/(1+u^2)^2 du = 0.5 ( u/(1+u^2) + arctan(u)).

I have used the Schwarzschild metric to find the geodesic equations for t and r. Since it is falling radially I have ignored the θ and φ terms. I know how to get the Christoffel symbols for both the t and r equations. I have read in some places that we must first find dt/dτ from the time equation and then substitute it back into the line element equation to find dr/dτ. Then once we have this, we can integrate to find the proper time it takes for the particle falling into the black hole to go from 6GM to 4GM.

I have tried countless times using different methods and the 'hints' given in the question, but I can't seem to get an integral of the form ∫1/(1+u^2)^2 du = 0.5 ( u/(1+u^2) + arctan(u)) like I should.

I just need to know in what order I must do these things. I have never even seen an example of this so I don't know where to start. I would prefer if the G's and c's were kept in the equations for now since it helps me understand where they come from.

Thanks a lot
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
joshyp93 said:
I have used the Schwarzschild metric to find the geodesic equations for t and r. Since it is falling radially I have ignored the θ and φ terms. I know how to get the Christoffel symbols for both the t and r equations. I have read in some places that we must first find dt/dτ from the time equation and then substitute it back into the line element equation to find dr/dτ. Then once we have this, we can integrate to find the proper time it takes for the particle falling into the black hole to go from 6GM to 4GM.
This approach should lead to the answer. You'll need to show your work in order for us to provide specific help.

1. How is proper time calculated when falling toward a black hole?

Proper time is calculated using the equation T = ∫ √(1 - rs/r) dr, where T represents proper time, rs is the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole, and r is the distance from the center of the black hole. This equation takes into account the effects of gravitational time dilation.

2. What is the significance of proper time in relation to black holes?

Proper time is the time experienced by an observer who is falling towards a black hole. It is a measure of the duration of the observer's journey and is affected by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole. Proper time plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects near black holes and in predicting the outcomes of events involving black holes.

3. Can proper time be measured outside of the event horizon of a black hole?

Yes, proper time can be measured outside of the event horizon of a black hole. However, as an observer gets closer to the event horizon, the effects of gravitational time dilation become more significant, making it difficult to accurately measure proper time.

4. How does the speed of an object falling towards a black hole affect proper time?

The speed of an object falling towards a black hole does not affect proper time, as proper time is a measure of the duration of the observer's journey and is not affected by the velocity of the object. However, the speed of the object can affect the amount of time it takes to reach the event horizon, as well as the gravitational time dilation experienced by the observer.

5. Does proper time slow down as an object gets closer to the event horizon of a black hole?

Yes, proper time slows down as an object gets closer to the event horizon of a black hole. This is due to the strong gravitational pull of the black hole, which causes gravitational time dilation. The closer an object gets to the event horizon, the stronger the gravitational pull and the greater the effect on proper time.