Calculating Raindrop Radius at Different Times Using Integration

In summary, a spherical raindrop evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area. If its radius is 3mm, and 1 hour later has been reduced to 2mm, find an expresssion for the raduis of the raindrops at anytime.
snowJT

Homework Statement

A spherical raindrops evaporates at a rate proportional to its surface area. If its radius is 3mm, and 1 hour later has been reduced to 2mm, find an expresssion for the raduis of the raindrops at anytime.

Homework Equations

[tex]Volume = \frac{4}{3}\pi R^3[/tex]

[tex]Area = 4\pi R^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3) = -k (4\pi R^2)[/tex]

[tex]4\pi R^3 \frac{d}{dt} = -k 4\pi R^2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{R dR}{dt} = -k[/tex]

then... how do I plug in 2 and 3 mm??

Physics news on Phys.org
There's already a problem with your DE. d(R(t)^3)/dt=?

this is precalculus math?

I thought it was just basic integration? Sorry, I'll try and see if this can get moved then or something

It reduces to the world's easiest differential equation. It's pretty basic, if not precisely 'pre-calc'.

snowJT said:
I thought it was just basic integration? Sorry, I'll try and see if this can get moved then or something
Well, it is basic differentiation- but that is "calculus", not "pre-calculus"!

In any case, go back and look at your work again. What is the derivative of R3 with respect to R? Using the chain rule, what is the derivative of R3 with respect to t?

[tex]= 4\pi\int R^3\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{4\pi R^4}{t}[/tex]

??

snowJT said:
[tex]= 4\pi\int R^3\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{4\pi R^4}{t}[/tex]

??
I agree: ?? That first line makes no sense. If "d/dt" is the derivative operator, you have to have something to differentiate! Also an integral has to have a "dt" or "dx" so you will know what the variable of integration is.

If this is in response to my previous question "what is the derivative of R3 with respect to t", that was prompted by your
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{4}{3}\pi R^3= 4\pi R^3 \frac{d}{dt}[/tex]
which, again, makes no sense- what is that final d/dt applied to?

Use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{d R^3}{dt}= \frac{d R^3}{dR}\frac{dR}{dt}[/tex]

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=154042

I'm not typing all that out again:smile: :tongue2:

This is essentially how it is derived and this question asks about how to integrate the volume of half a sphere, but really it's asking pretty much the same thing, one is calculus, the other is calculus :smile: I never learned how it was derived until about two months ago. :smile: Talking about circles and spheres at the time and started playing around with the figures and what do you know :smile:

do all that with t, and then integrate it and there you have it.

[tex] \int_3^2 \int 4 \pi r^2/t =\int_3^2 \frac{4}{3}(\frac{\pi r^3}{t}) dt=[/tex]

r between the value of 2 & 3; then make the equation =r; that's how I'd do it, something like that?

Last edited:

1. What is an integration word problem?

An integration word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the definite integral of a function over a given interval. It typically involves real-world scenarios and requires the use of integration techniques to solve.

2. How do you solve an integration word problem?

To solve an integration word problem, you first need to identify the relevant information and variables involved. Then, you can use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution to find the definite integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral to find the solution to the problem.

3. What are some common types of integration word problems?

Some common types of integration word problems include finding the area under a curve, calculating work or displacement, and determining the volume of a solid of revolution. Other examples may involve finding the average value of a function or calculating the distance traveled by an object.

4. What are some tips for solving integration word problems?

One tip for solving integration word problems is to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the problem to gain a better understanding. Additionally, be familiar with integration techniques and practice solving similar problems to improve your skills.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving integration word problems?

One common mistake when solving integration word problems is forgetting to include the constant of integration. Another mistake is using the wrong integration technique for the given problem. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.