Calculating Reaction Time from Dropped Meter Stick

In summary: I was wondering if there was a difference.There is no difference between v1 and v2; they are simply the initial velocities.
_physics_noob_

Homework Statement

A meter stick is held vertically above your hand, with the lower end between your thumb and first finger. On seeing the meter stick released, you grab it with these two fingers. You can calculate your reaction time from the distance the meter stick falls, read directly from the point where your fingers grabbed it. If the measured distance is 17.6cm , what is the reaction time?

So I googled it and it said t=√d/4.9m/s^2
How is that derived?

Homework Equations

v2=v1+at
x=v1t+1/2at^2
x=1/2(v1+v2)t
v2^2=v1^2+2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 17.6cm to 0.0176m. Now my question is how would I approach this kind of question without all the given variables?
This is my attempt at it.
x=0.176m
a=-9.8m/s^2
0.176=v1t+1/2(-9.8m/s^2)t^2
0=-0.176+v1t+(-4.9m/s^2)t^2
but now I don't have a variable for v1 how to solve for v1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
v1 is the initial velocity. Initially, the meterstick is at rest. Therefore v1 = 0.

_physics_noob_ said:
but now I don't have a variable for v1 how to solve for v1
v1 is the initial velocity of the falling object.

So if v1=0 then i could use x=v1t+1/2at^2...
0.176=1/2(-9.8m/s^20)t^2 then solve for t^2
t^2=0.176m/(-4.9m/s^2) but it wouldn't work because I can't square a negative or do i have to use the positive 4.9m/s^2

You have to make sure your signs are consistent.
Why are you choosing the displacement (x) to be positive but the acceleration (a) to be negative? In this situation, they should be in the same direction (downward).

Well, the expression really is x - x0 = v0*t + 0.5*g*t^2.

Now the signs will depend on the choice of the x-axis direction. If it points downwards you will assume x = d and x0 = 0 and g = 9.8 (because the gravity pull is in the positive x-axis direction); if you choose an x-axis pointing upwards then x = -d and x0 = 0 and g = -9.8 because the pull is opposite to the positive direction). In each case you get the same answer and there is no negative root to concern yourself with.

Thanks @rikardus ! How did you come up with that expression? did you made
Δx = (v1)t+1/2(a)t^2

Yes I did. I'm also used to the v0 notation to emphasize that is an initial velocity.

You're welcome.

Okay cool and I figured, that's how it is my book but for some reason my professor uses v1 and v2

1. What is the purpose of calculating reaction time from a dropped meter stick?

The purpose of this experiment is to measure an individual's reaction time, which is the time it takes for a person to respond to a stimulus. This can be useful in various fields, such as sports, psychology, and medicine.

2. What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a meter stick, a stopwatch or timer, a partner to assist with the timing, and a flat surface to drop the meter stick on.

3. How do you perform this experiment?

The experiment is performed by having one person hold the meter stick vertically at the 0 mark, while the other person holds the stopwatch. The person holding the meter stick will release it without warning and the other person will start the timer. The timer is stopped as soon as the person catches the meter stick. This process is repeated multiple times and the average reaction time is calculated.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the results?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the results, such as the distance between the person's hand and the 0 mark on the meter stick, the grip strength of the person, and the reaction time of the person starting and stopping the timer. It's important to make sure these variables are controlled for consistent and accurate results.

5. How can the results of this experiment be interpreted?

The results of this experiment can be interpreted as an individual's average reaction time, which is measured in seconds. A shorter reaction time indicates a faster response to a stimulus, while a longer reaction time may indicate a slower response. It's important to keep in mind that reaction time can vary based on several factors and may not be an accurate representation of a person's overall reaction abilities.