Calculating Required Heading for North-East Sailing with Current at 5km/h

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Smartgurl
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
OP warned about not including efforts to solve the problem

Homework Statement


A ships captain wishes to sail his ship north -east. A current is moving his ship with a velocity of 5.0km/h . If the ship has a maximum speed of 30 km/h what is the ships required heading?

Homework Equations


Cos angle=A/H

The Attempt at a Solution


Heading=cosine (5/30)
Heading=80 degrees
The answer is [N 38 degrees E]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, are you given the direction in which the current is moving his ship?
Edit: maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like you need that information to solve this problem..
 
_N3WTON_ said:
Just out of curiosity, are you given the direction in which the current is moving his ship?
Edit: maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like you need that information to solve this problem..
Yes it says south.
 
Ok, for problems like these it is essential to draw a diagram. You are trying to find the angle the ship is making with the x-axis (east axis). First you will need to set up an equation using the Pythagorean theorem, try that out as a start...
 
So the vector addition of ship's velocity wrt water + velocity of water = effective velocity of ship, right ?
Write out the components in direction north and in direction east to get two equations with two unknowns (heading wrt water and effective speed). You don't need the latter, so eliminate it. I see the answer appearing without any difficulty ...

Oh, and: welcome to PF :-)